Friday, December 30, 2011

Power to Pray

As the New Year comes, and the Lent Season is just around the corner, which for 2012 begins on February 22nd and concludes April 5th, I am inclined to give this season to a time of prayer.
 For me , this is a big! I find it easier to study scripture than it is to pray. I realize I need both, so I am kind of in a mode of preparation to learn more about prayer, commit to prayer, and give a season to learning about the aspects of prayer.
 There are of course numerous scriptures on prayer, and I think the focus for me is learning how to pray for others, so I thought I would read up on what others might have said in regards to prayer. I have found thus far some pretty cool things people have said regarding prayer. Here are some quotes I came across:

 " I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction I had absolutely no other place to go." Abraham Lincoln

 " To get nations back on their feet, we must first get on our knees." Billy Graham

 " The devil is not terribly frightened of our human efforts and credentials. But he knows his kingdom will be damaged when we lift up our hearts to God in prayer." Jim Cymbala

 "Satan may laugh when we toil, he may mock at our wisdom, ...but he trembles when we pray." The Kneeling Christian

 " Here then is the "order of life": Jesus intercedes for us in Heaven, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us here on earth, and we intercede for our fellow man." numerous authors

 "Our prayers lay tracks (railroad) down on which God's power can come. Like a locomotive, His power is irresistible, but it cannot reach us without rails." Watchman Nee

 "Our greatest victories in life is won on our knees with empty stomachs." Julio C. Ruibal

 " Real prayer is lethal to Satan's cause." numerous authors

 "Our prayers are not self-centered. It must arise not only because we feel our own need as a burden we lay upon God, but also because we are bound upon our love for our fellow man that we feel their need as acutely as our own. To make intercession for men it the most powerful and practical way in which we can express our love for them." John Calvin

 I think one of the most beautiful prayers I have heard and read is St. Francis prayer. I realize it is world-wide and heard in various places throughout the world, and I find in it a core that is parallel to my own conviction as the Lent Season approaches. 
 The Prayer of St. Francis is attributed of course to St. Francis of Assisi, although its historical links only go back to 1912. A French magazine, called La Clotette (the Little Bell) first published this prayer, and it gained much notoriety in the U.S. when Cardinal Francis Spellman and Senator Albert W. Hawkes had millions of copies distributed during and shortly after World War II.
 It was set to music by he Sebastian Temple in 1967. It is the current anthem of the Royal British Legion, the leading charity to those who served in the British Armed Forces, and has been repeatedly used in many and various ceremonies, dedications, and in movies.

 I think what moves people throughout the world is the selflessness to the words within the prayer itself. St Francis Prayer;

 " Lord,
    Make me an instrument of Your Peace;
     Where there is hatred, let me sow Your Love,
      Where there is injury,Pardon,
       Where there is doubt, Faith
        Where there is despair, Hope
         Where there is darkness, Light
          And where there is sadness, Joy.

O Divine Master,
   Grant that I so much seek to be consoled,
           as to console;
   To be understood,
          as to understand;
   To be loved;
          as to love;
   For it is in giving;
         we receive,
   It is in pardoning;
         we are pardoned,
  And it is in dying,
         that we are born to Eternal Life."
                                                                  Amen

 There are numerous scriptures related to prayer, and I am sure I will be looking for guidance and answers for this upcoming "Season of Prayer". The one that stands out for me now is out of Luke 18:1 and it reads:
  " Also, Jesus told them a parable to the effect they ought always to pray; not to faint on prayer, nor lose heart in prayer, not give up on prayer, and never turn coward in prayer."

 The parable is in Luke 17 and is a story of a persistent widow.


No comments:

Post a Comment