Saturday, December 24, 2011

Gleanings from Philippians 3: 1-11

 Paul addresses the Jewish sect who had been fiercely against the Gospel of our Lord Jesus. Just like others before him like John the Baptizer and Jesus Himself, Paul warns the believers in Philippi not to adhere to the teachings of the Pharisees.
 Early in this chapter he refers to the Pharisees as "dogs". This term was not like one of our pets, a puppy or a loved dog within our household. Rather, this was a wild, dirty animal who ran in the wild or in the streets scavenging whatever they could find. It definitely wasn't the type of animal you would want to take home.
 Another note, when Paul speaks about not having the need to be circumcised like those of the Jewish faith, he again comes against the "Pharisee view of the Christian faith", making it clear we are no longer in need of a physical circumcision, Christ has paid it all to be accepted into the Christian faith. In fact, he uses Greek words to portray the false teachings of the Pharisees as not a circumcision that is round and trims the foreskin, but one that cuts to pieces the salvation message itself. In other words, the Pharisees teaching of circumcision did not cause a convert to belong to Christ, rather these legalistic laws on being a Christian were only an outward display, placing harm and burdening traditions to a believer in Christ that God never intended. The type of circumcision that a Chrisitan needs is the "circumcision of the heart"...a cutting away of the old. Christ Jesus and the work at the Cross was enough. Like Jesus said Himself, "It is finished." And remember, Paul had been a Pharisee himself.
 Also, Gnostic Doctrine had already been infiltrating this body of believers which brought a message that our physical bodies were evil, incapable of receiving salvation. As a result, it does not matter what they do with their bodies...from excessive drinking and debauchery to having sex whenever and whoever, after all, the physical body was nothing but evil. Paul spoke directly against this heretical teaching.
 The gospel of Jesus was already being challenged and attempts to twist the work of Christ to the young believers in the early church. Thank God for the writings of Paul, who made the true Gospel clear and available to all who give their lives to Jesus, the True Christ.
 As Paul wrote in another letter, " I speak of Christ, and Christ who was Crucified, and that alone makes us all complete...."

 " I will start to wrap up this letter with these thoughts, the first being this: rejoice in the Lord! I know you have heard this from me before, but I am bound to say this to you once again. Continue to rejoice in Him!
 And watch out for those Judaizers, the "Pharisee Christians", who preach that legal trash about your need to be circumcised. Equally, don't let their "works" fool you, causing you to believe good works and obeying Jewish law will bring salvation to you.

 Here is the real order of things from God's perspective. When your heart is given to rejoicing in Him, when you are worshipping Him in the power of the Holy Spirit, then you are already circumcised. Our circumcision to Christ is not based on a knife and the cutting of foreskin, rather, our circumcision comes by receiving Christ into our hearts and believing in Him. Our human efforts to follow the Law could never bring us salvation, our confidence is not based on our own efforts, but it comes only by believing in Him!
 If the Law had any virtue to obtaining salvation, then I would have been first in line. I was circumcised at 8 days old, and I am of the "Pureblood of Israel." In fact, I am from the tribe of Benjamin, the very heart of the sons of the Hebrews.
 Along with that, I was a Pharisee myself, and demanded the Laws and customs of our Jewish Heritage be followed to the "t", with the Pharisees overseeing everything was done "right."
 I gave my life to all this, being a great defender of the Jewish faith, and followed every legalistic law and custom in detail, even to the point of destroying anyone who would steer any away from our Jewish way of life. This was especially true of the Christian faith, who I felt at the time was a great enemy to the Jewish faith and would kill those who proclaimed the Gospel of Jesus.

 At that junction in my life, I thought it was the most valuable thing I could do as a member of the Jewish sect...that is until I met the Lord Jesus Christ myself.
 Now, since I have received Him as my Lord and Savior, all those things I did as a Pharisee...were completely worthless..like someone throwing out trash.

 The reason is: Christ! I realized now my life could never even begin to earn any type of salvation to our God, for their is no righteousness outside of Jesus Christ. Now I know our becoming right in His eyes is totally dependant on one thing: our faith in Him! Jesus, our Lord and King!
 So, my heart is set on this...to know Christ and experience the power of His Resurrection operating in my own life, raising my own life from the very "dead life" I previously had. I also realize the importance of suffering with Him, letting the "old Saul" completely die so the "new Paul" can experience the power of His Resurrection!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment