Monday, December 19, 2011

The Letter of Joy...Gleanings from Philippians 1: 1-14

Philippi was a Roman colony in the modern day country of Greece. In ancient times it was a place retired Roman soldiers would live, having given service to the emperor. They were given Roman citizenship and lived under the protection of its laws and codes.
 Paul, along with Silas, Timothy, and Luke established a church there. Philippian Christians were a generous people, and Paul loved them deeply. Paul himself was in prison once again when he wrote this letter, most likely in Rome.....

 "This letter comes from Paul and from Timothy, both committed to His service as slaves to our Lord Jesus. This letter is directed to all Christians living in Philippi including elders and deacons of the church.
 First, we speak God's Grace, God's Favor, and God's Blessings be given to each of you, along with your hearts being filled with His Peace... all this coming from God who is now our very own Father, through the power of our Lord and Savior...Jesus the Christ.

 Let me say this; every time I think about all of you, my heart leaps for joy and causes me to give thanks to our Lord Jesus. When I include you in my prayers, there is just such a joy and delight that seems to fill me...about each and every one of you!
 I am ever so grateful for your sympathetic cooperation and active participation in spreading the Good News about Jesus. And you have been like this since the very first day you heard the Good News yourselves: Christ lives and now desires to live in our hearts! I am also convinced you will continue to proclaim this message until His return...the Return of Jesus Christ in all of His Glory!

 Because you hold such a special place in my heart, it's only natural to feel this way about you. My prayers and hopes for you are rooted deep in this reality: you have been a tremendous help in the work God has called me to, and have stuck with me through "thick and thin". When I was in jail...you were there, when I was put on trial...you were there, and when I was freed...you were there as well!
 You have been a part of and received of God's Blessings for all that we have been through together. My love for you can only be compared to the same love Christ Jesus Himself has for you.
 So, this is my prayer for you even now. I pray your love may continue to grow and abound even more, and the love you have for Christ and for one another will lead you to understand what really matters in this life, being able to learn what things in life are vital to us as Christians, living our lives that come from pure hearts right up until the Day of His Return.
 May your character speak well of you, producing fruit that announces and offers to others the Salvation of God Himself through our Lord Jesus Christ. The result of all this work and godly lifestyle is to bring much glory...much honor....and much praise to our Great God!

 Along with all of this, I want you to know that the situation I am currently in (imprisoned), has turned into a Blessing and helped further the Word....He lives!
 For it is both obvious and well-known I am in chains because of Jesus! Even the Roman guards are aware of this, and because of all this, many believers have gained confidence and become quite bold in telling others of the Good News...without being filled with fear. The prison guards have come to hear about Jesus and His love for them as well. This is producing much freedom with an indifference to any consequences it might bring. And for that, we lift up praise to our God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment