Tuesday, December 27, 2011

As the New Year "Approacheth"

The New Year is coming!...It's right around the corner! It's always a topic of conversation from many perspectives. Questions like "Do you think 2012 is going to be a good year?" to "Do you think the world is coming to an end?", or the more important question (lol) "What's in it for me...2012?"
 New Year's resolutions seem to be a "dime a dozen" right now, and that is not to belittle New Year resolutions...after all, we all got them! Who doesn't want a fresh start for the upcoming year with new hopes and directives that will have a positive influence in each of our lives.
 With all that type of thought going on, I kind of step back and think to myself, "What am I really wanting...do I need to make some resolutions?, am I content in my life the way it is?, where am I going with my life?, and has life been good thus far?"

 Well, since becoming a Christian, my outlook on life and the New Year has gone through some changes. I do think it is cool to have some resolutions or goals for the upcoming year, yet I also realize even my resolutions and goals need inspiration, I am becoming more and more dependant on His direction being able to flow into my life.
 For me, being a Christian has involved and will continue to be a work in progress. Changing the way you think and act because of God's Word penetrating my heart and mind, looking at everyday life from a whole different perspective, and at times experiencing "old desires and thoughts on doing things in daily life" dying in me, and new desires starting to get a foot hold in my own personal life...all this can get real intense, yet at the same time very satisfying and serene...I guess I would classify this as the "Mystery of the Gospel".
 So, here are a few reminders I focus on as I prepare for the New Year:

1. The need to repent: This is an ongoing thing for me. Yes, I have initially confessed I am a sinner and come to accept the fact Christ Jesus died for me and saved me, giving me Eternal Life. I have also come to know it doesn't stop there.
 In most dictionaries I read, repentance is defined as a "feeling of remorse, being sorry for something you have done, acknowledging you were way "off base" in your actions toward someone." Then, the definitions kind of leave it there...doesn't really say much on what to do about it or define what is the finish to repentance.
 Now, the Christian perspective takes the word repentance a whole lot further. The Christian definition states repentance is a "changing of your mind, bringing a fresh attitude toward God, to yourself, and to life in general. It is the willingness to submit to God's way of thinking through allowing His Way of Thought(His Word) to infiltrate your life and give you inner joy and peace that you previously did not have."
 Then, it is further defined that our only way to repent of our former way of life which must be realized as substandard can only be changed through His Son, Jesus, our Christ.

Ok, here are some things I have noticed about repentance, which by the way, I think is a good way to start the New Year, at least for me. In John 6:44, Jesus Himself makes this statement; "No one is able to come to Me unless the Father who sent Me attracts and draws him and gives him the desire to come to Me, for it is only then will I raise him on the last day."
 So, the way I read this is we don't even have the capability to repent unless God gives us the strength to do so.
 Often times I dream and even yearn for some of my friends to come to Christ Jesus, but I know the Gospel just don't do anything for them..maybe because of preconceived ideas, misunderstandings of who Christ is, or just flat out refuses, not wanting anything to do with Him.
 I remember one time at work, there was this girl who I had along with others partied with a number of times at clubs etc., and she had taken notice I had made changes in my life and wasn't showing up at theses places much anymore. So, she asked me one day, "What's up with you...I don't see you around much anymore?" This particular girl was and still is actively involved in the lesbian community, listened as I responded, " Well, I gave my life to Christ Jesus, I am  now a Christian and things seem to be changing for me...that's all I know." She looked at me and said, "That's cool! I tried that a while back...it didn't work for me."

Hmm? Repentance. I do think it all starts here...but even our ability to do that is dependant on the Holy Spirit. So, I think my first resolution for the new year is to pray for others...that their hearts are prepared and open to realize we all need a Savior, and the life we live on our own is quite desolate...no matter how "fun" we fool ourselves into thinking life is.
 Oh, by the way, that girl that I was telling you about...has had some depression issues...to the point of suicidal tendencies....maybe it isn't as "cool" as it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment