Tuesday, December 27, 2011

As the New Year Approacheth...part 2

As I think about some New Year's resolutions (or perhaps I should say New Year Revolution), there is something else Jesus said that at first disturbed me, but now I am glad He said it. In John 14:6 Jesus says, : I AM the only road, the only truth, the only way, and the Author of Life itself. No one can even approach the Father unless He comes through Me. For if you really know Me, then and only then will you be able to know My Father."
 He went on to say that God will be our Father because "If you have seen Me, then you have seen the Father."

 I have a number of New Age friends, and when we get into the discussion of who God is, and how He is unique to each one of us....maybe it's my personality I don't know, anyway, we can be talking over things like this...and right when we all seem to be "one" on how God is to each of us...and how there are "many ways to come to God"...I "zero in" and drop this "bomb". Now, don't get me wrong...I do this in a humble matter(well, humble for me) and of course that pretty much "blows up" any of the former discussion we may have been having.
 Then, I get questions and stories like, "Well. how about the Buddhist monk in Tibet who is seeking the truth and living a holy life, you mean to tell me God won't accept him?" I simply reply, "No, not according to what I understand Jesus to have said." Then they accuse me of being close minded, judgmental, and you know, all the stuff that people say Christianity should not be.
 Then there is always the other claims like, "So how about those that have not heard the gospel?...or the Native Americans calling God the "Great Spirit"..are all these people excluded from heaven because they didn't go through Jesus?"

Oh boy! Now what have I got myself into. Here is the cool thing I have learned. I don't get into arguments over this stuff...the Bible says I am simply to proclaim it...I will let the Holy Spirit take it from there.
 So, getting back to my New Age "buds", I simply say, "Look, I don't exactly knows how all this works, but I am not getting on the "bandwagon" of there are many ways to God, and here is the reason why: If there were many ways to God, then why did God send His Only Son to die such a horrible death for our sins? How can I as a Christian say, "Jesus thank you for dieing for me, although I know there are many ways to come to God, your Father?"
 I think as I consider Resolution # 2, it kind of ties in with #1. It is all about the Holy Spirit. My prayer life for others seem to involve the preparation of their hearts to receive the Gospel of Christ Jesus.
 And now that I think about it, that is how it happened to me. My own personal conviction made me realize how good God really is to me, and when I went to Christ Jesus for answers, that is when it all started to come together. And the Holy Spirit...wow! He can definitely make things happen!

 In the past year, I have received some really nice compliments from friends, including the New Agers. I don't write this to make it sound like I am some great guy...I'm just another person saved by the power of our Lord Jesus Christ. Like John Newton wrote; "Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me".
 I have been told there is a real love in my heart, and it seems I have a genuine concern for others. Well, anyone knowing my past life would know Christ must be doing something for him...he wasn't like that before.

 The other thing I noticed about my friends around me including the New Agers, those one on one conversations for example, they share a hurt, a loneliness, a void that I am familiar with....and I know from experience there is only One who can fill it! Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!"

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment