Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh America...Christmas is Calling!

As I ponder over what Christmas means to me in 2011, I remember a quote by Eric Sevareid, an American newscaster, who once said: "Christmas is a necessity. There has to be one day a year to remind us that we are here for something else besides ourselves."
 I wonder, what are some great gifts we can offer others for this Christmas Day? I don't think the real answers are in presents or gifts, not in today's society...I think it is in something deeper, matters of the heart, the relationships around us.
 I don't know about you, but where I live there are broken families; ex-husbands, ex-wives, children who are 1/2 brothers and sisters, step children, step Dads, step Moms....everyone seems to be "from someone else but lives with these folks now". People split up these days and get a divorce  like someone getting the common cold. People move in together, then move out, finding someone else to live with..and take the kids along in the entire process.
 Then, through all this breakdown of family life throughout the year, Christmas shows up.

 Now its time to drop kids off at the ex-mother-n-laws, let Grandma and Grandpa from 2 marriages ago see the kids for the holidays, ex-husbands picking up their children because of visitation rights, ex-wives stopping by to drop off something for a child that is now under a different Mom...it just goes on and on.
 Some say America is in real trouble, and one of her big wounds is the family. We don't have families much anymore. Now, it has become a matter of surviving...especially for children. Just the other day I was listening to two young teenage girls who spoke on their situation in life. Their parents had split up, the mother had been put in jail because of using "crack", the father had found someone else in the process, and now these two young ladies were moving to their new "home". The "new" Mom didn't really want them to come along, but they didn't have anywhere else to go. The father spoke how he hated the "real mother" and was glad she was in jail. The two young teenage girls still loved their "real Mom" and were so worried about her being in jail.
  And all of a sudden...it's Christmas!

Then you hear things like, "Come on kids, you got to see your Dad, it's Christmas! We will stop by and pick you up when you are finished with him and his family...and no, I do not want to talk to that man...being with him was the most miserable time of my life....But listen, have a good time! Love You!"

It's Christmas in 2011. People are hurting, children are left confused, and is there hope for the family?...Where do we start? What can we do?

Oh America...Christmas is Calling...He sees our pain, He feels our sorrow...He will be true to you...He will heal the wounded hearts.....

 "Come back to Me with all your hearts, don't let fear keep us apart.
   Take My hand, I will lead you, I will heal your broken hearts.
    I have come that you might live, let me in and be your friend.
    I  see the weeping....I can give you a new start, we can face these things....as one.

    I came in a manger and gave all to you,
    Now you must return to me, and give Me what you have.
    When you come to Me, I will answer you.
     Oh America...Christmas is Calling."


  

No comments:

Post a Comment