Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Seek ye first..." Gleanings from Matthew 6:33

How many times do you hear that quoted in life...I know I have heard this text quoted "zillions" of times, usually just in part, including myself. It seems I can catch myself quoting a part of the a particular verse of the scripture...and not the entire verse itself. I guess that is human nature...hearing the part that sounds "cool"..and then kind of leaving off the rest.
 In Matthew, Jesus is coming to a conclusion on His teaching of the "Sermon on the Mount, and gives clear direction as to what we are to do with all that he has taught us.
 Just a few notes:
1) "Seek" is in the command form of grammar. It suggests the idea of one who needs to concentrate or focus on a particular subject. The word seek is also an ongoing tense, like, "make this kingdom to be the center of your very lives."
2) "First" is a word that indicates a priority. The seeking of His Kingdom has got to be "Priority One" in our lives. Even our own personal needs should not distract us from "Priority One", and that is establishing the His Kingdom in our daily life.
3) "All these thing will be added unto you" This is definitely a reference to our material needs...the things we need in everyday life to sustain us. In the Lord's Prayer, when Jesus was teaching His disciples how to pray, the part "Give us this day our daily bread" has often been interpreted a number of ways. I always liked how St. Augustine defined it: "If God is bringing His Kingdom into our very hearts and lives, don't you think He brought supplies to sustain and advance His Kingdom?" Something I try to keep in mind when trusting Him to take care of personal agenda in my own life.

                                      Gleaning of Matthew 6:33

 "More than anything else in our individual lives, seek out God's place...His Kingdom, and allow His entry and yield everything over to His control. His Kingdom is the right one for you, for His Way of Life...is your way of life as well.
 And when you are able to make this transition, giving up all you may have thought you owned, and surrendering it to the Kingdom of God, then all of your very dreams, your desires, and those heart-felt accomplishments will be made available to you...in fact, they are yours! The fulfillment and completion of these things will only encourage you to seek out His Kingdom...even more!"

 There are times in daily life stuff just seems to overwhelm us, and the "seeking of His Kingdom" seems more like I am in a dense fog, rather than seeing His Kingdom from the "crispness of a dawn", separating darkness from light.
  What I have learned to do is get the encouragement of others who are seeking out the same kingdom I am...here is an example, in poem form of a well-known poet:

                                    This Too Shall Pass

If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be.

If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone seems to doubt me.

If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with morning
And that this will pass away too.

Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains,
I can suffer whatever is happening
For I know God will break all the chains.

That are binding me tight in darkness
And trying to fill me with fear,
For there is no night without dawning
And I know my morning is near.

                                      Helen Steiner Rice {May 19th, 1900 - April 23rd, 1981}
An American writer of Christian and Inspirational poetry, gained national admiration through her writings: some of her admirers included Pope John Paul II and former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalyn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment