Friday, March 30, 2012

Gleanings from the 23rd Psalm...

Best guess? This most famous Psalm was probably written somewhere in the latter part of David's life. The reason is: the choice of words he used to write this Psalm. The quality and depth of these words indicates someone who had experienced his share of everyday life. It is entirely possible David wrote this while fleeing from his son Absalom.

 The "Lord is My Shepherd" is a phrase that has been used by others on different occasions. It is normally used to describe a man's relationship to God.
 Jacob, for example, while blessing his sons and grandsons referred to God in this manner. In Genesis 48:15 it reads, "The God who has been My Shepherd". Moses spoke of God as a shepherd in Deuteronomy 32:6-12. Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Micah all looked to God at some point of their lives as a "Shepherd". In fact, other cultures and pagan religions of ancient times would refer to their chief gods as a shepherd. An example of this is with the sun-god Shamash, who was designated the "shepherd of the people of the world".

 Here in this Davidic Psalm, the Living God of Israel is painted in our minds as not only a shepherd in the early part of the chapter, but He is also pictured as our Guide, and further into the chapter a Wonderful Host.
 Some biblical scholars think it was written for Temple observances, particularly during the "Thanksgiving Offerings". One thing to remember is the Temple in Jerusalem had not yet been constructed...during the time of King David....

                                        Gleanings of the 23rd Chapter of Psalms

 "It is You, Lord. You are the Shepherd of my life. Knowing that, what need could I possibly have that You are not aware of?
 You guide me to lush meadows, where I can bed down and get some much needed rest. (Note: here it is not so much the quality of grass that a sheep would need to graze for example, as much as it was the need to find rest and comfort.)
 Even the streams nearby flow ever so gently, and I can drink in the quiet of my own thoughts...my thoughts about You. It is during this time of rest I can also find my strength restored, giving me the time needed to "catch my breath", and then when I have come to a more relaxed state of mind and heart, I can receive and understand the direction You have for me and which path I need to take next along my journey. I put all my trust in You because You are ever true to the words You give to me. (Note: rest is often required to one who is exhausted both mentally and physically).


 Even when I find myself in the darkest of places, valleys that are dark as death itself, I find myself able to not walk in fear...because You are right there too...along side of me. (Note: in Hebrew the "valley of the shadow of death" implies a total and complete darkness...those dark and bitter experiences we face at times in life).
 And even if I cannot see in the dark, You can! (Note: there are no calamities or bad experiences we face in life that leave us alone...for good...God will make Himself known...to us.)
 You take Your trusty shepherd's crook and touch me with it, keeping me from going too far to the left or too far to the right. In fact, just feeling the touch of your crook upon me gives me utmost confidence...and I feel so very safe.

 And, with my enemies around me, perhaps infiltrated in my very midst, You take the time for me to enjoy a home-cooked meal, with all the trimmings included! You allow to me to indulge and enjoy this meal, which was entirely made and provided for by You!
 Then, after the meal has ended, You honor me, anointing me with Your special oil...upon my very head, and my cup is still full, to overflowing, after the meal...overflowing with Your many blessings! ( Note: shepherds would carry oil to sooth the scratched heads of sheep who had got caught in brier bushes trying to reach food.)
 As I arise to continue on the path You have set for me, I look behind me and see that I am not alone. You have sent along 2 friends of Yours, that are committed to my very welfare: one who is named "Goodness", the other calls himself "Unfailing Love".
 With the luxury of having these 2 friends at my side, through the entirety of my journey, I keep in my own heart this promise from You....that I will make it home...Your home, and it is there my dwelling place will be forever...in the Light of Your very Presence! (Note: there was no temple yet built during the time of David. It is thought David was relaying to us all that God's very Presence is there in the midst of difficulties and problems we might face in life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment