Friday, January 6, 2012

What is Germany Really LIke...Today?

I thought I would "throw this out there", simply because I have been seeing and reading various articles on Germany today. Here are my thoughts:

 From my perspective, Germany is a country with a vast wealth of rich history, and one of much lament as well.
 I am aware of Bon Jovi, Mikhail Gorbachev, and Hilary Clinton being on hand to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down...I understand it to be  7.4 million dollar celebration!
 Yet, in some of the articles I read most Germans don't seem overly thrilled about this occasion. There are some articles saying the German people yearn for the "good old days", before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

 Ok, this is the homeland of Martin Luther..the 95 theses...the Reformation....in some regards the birthplace of Christianity as we know it today.
 Yet, some stats are showing that only 3 to 4 percent of the entire German population are committed to following Christ Jesus. Add to that less than 1% are into any evangelical train of thought, and less than 50% of German population actually believe there is an after life.
 I admit, I don't know if these stats are accurate, it is just what I have come across.

 I don't really know or have come to any conclusive thoughts on Germany today, but I am gaining an interest where Germany stands as a whole in reference to Christ Jesus.
 I know being from the U.S., the whole train of thought thing can be so much different than a European outlook like that of Germany. This has absolutely nothing to do with one is better than the other, it is simply just different.

 What I have gathered is the German thought does not really embrace a non-conformist view on life, the "everyone do their own thing". Rather, it is more like adhere to and abide by the rules of whatever bureaucratic system may be of dominance at the moment.
 In reference to Christianity and German literature here in the U.S., besides all of Martin Luther's writings, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Cost of Discipleship" has made a big impact on Christians and their belief in the Risen Christ.

 I have always thought of the German society as a rather hard-driven type people, a no-nonsense "put your hands to the plow" type outlook on life...but I could be way off base...just don't know.

 Oh, and what's up with Knut, the polar bear? Germans seem to get all "warm and fuzzy" when it comes to animals.
 Anyway, these are just thoughts I have...and you can always e-mail me and "correct these thoughts" (lol)...at moriahjg7@gmail.com
                         God Bless......

No comments:

Post a Comment