Saturday, January 21, 2012

Job has "a little to say"...about Lent! Gleanings from Job 42:1-10

The book of Job is a fascinating story, and from it can come a multitude of lessons to learn from in relation to real life...today!
 As I think about prayer, and how to go about it, Job has an interesting insight. In Job 42, the whole ordeal that Job had gone through...losing everything he had in life, frustration from all of that, and wondering about who this God is he was given to serving...that is until God kind of "woke him up" a bit. His 3 "buds" weren't much help to him either, leaving Job have to defend himself for what he was going through, let alone all the pain and grief he had to have been feeling while going through it.
 Sometimes I find the Lord has to do that kind of thing...we get so focused on the sufferings we face in life, we lose sight of the One we put our hope and trust in. Suffering is a like a bad word we hear when we see and know of the pains in life people face. Books and books and more books have been written on how to deal with the various forms of suffering we face, and I readily admit there is no clear answer at times as to why it happens.
 One thing I have learned not to do...over time, I refuse to blame God for bad things that happen. I also keep away from thoughts like; God is trying to teach me a lesson, or He is paying me back for what I did (wrong).
 Suffering is a part of life, and we all experience in one form or another. It's really tough at times, and there are times you feel like someone has just cut your heart out, but if you can...and I know from experience that is not always the easy choice...but if you can...look up and say, "I still put all my trust in You...it hurts right now...it hurts real bad, and I am so confused, and so ravished from this personal violation in my own life...yet, I know if I don't trust You now...I won't  ever have this deep wound healed."
 That is why I think Lent can play an important part of our "seasons in life". Praying for others who not only need Christ Jesus, but are just flat hurting... backing off giving advice or direction, but just making a conscious effort to pray for others, I do think the power starts in prayer.

                  Gleanings from Job 42:1-10

 " Job responded to the Lord, "I am totally aware You can do all things, Your thoughts and purposes for us cannot be restrained. For You have asked me this question O Mighty One: "Who is this who darkens and obscures My Wisdom from rescue because of the ignorance you choose to think and believe?"
 I admit my God: "It is me. I was the one speaking of things I know absolutely nothing about. I continued to spout off things about life when in truth I am in way over my head...and things that can be too wonderful to me are so far away from my own thoughts and understanding, it is impossible for me to even comprehend."
 Then, You spoke once more and said, "How about Me asking some questions and you providing the answers?"
 It was then I came to realize; I have lived my life entirely on the "hear say" of what others have said about You, not really taking the time to inquire of You on my own...until...
                                     my very own eyes have seen You...now I see clearly
                                     who You are and all You stand for.
 Therefore, for all I have ever thought of You previously, for all the vain babbling I have spoken about You....forgive me. In a public and visual manner, I now choose to repent of all those things...covered in dust and ashes.

 When the Lord had finished speaking to Job, He then turned His attention to Eliphaz the Temanite, "I am angry with you and your 2 friends...you haven't said anything to Job that was even close to the truth...the truth of who I really am. Job is an honest man, and has spoke from his heart...something all 3 of you would be wise to learn from him.
 So, take 7 bulls and 7 rams as well, go to Job, and offer up...and do this for your own selves...a burnt offering. I will have Job with you, and he will pray for you, for it will be his prayer for all of you that I will accept. I will not treat the 3 of you the way you should be treated, even though you treated Job wrong...and said lies about Me.

 So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Suhite, and Zophar the Naamathite did exactly as the Lord instructed, and the Lord was true to His word and accepted Job's prayer.
 In fact, when Job prayed for his 3 friends, the Lord restored his fortunes...and did He ever! Job received twice what he had before this whole thing had erupted!" 

                              Lent can be a journey, accompanied by Christ Jesus...to the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment