Friday, January 6, 2012

Paul meets with the "Big Boys"...Gleanings from Galatians 2:1-10

It had been 14 years since Paul had been to Jerusalem, the central hub of the time for the Christian faith, and now he along with Barnabas and Titus meet with the "Originals", some of the Apostles who had been called by Christ Jesus when He was here on earth...Paul explains the meeting in this letter...
Gleanings from Galatians 2:1-10

 " It wasn't until 14 years later (since the early days of  my own personal conversion to Christ Jesus), that I returned to Jerusalem. The reason I even went was 1) I was impressed by the Holy Spirit this was the right thing to do and that I should go, and 2) because of all the recent apparent controversy on proclaiming the Gospel to the Gentiles, I was needed to go to Jerusalem and clarify this Message that was already affecting many people...not of Jewish origin. The Good News was now available to all people, regardless of their background!
 I met with those who were leaders at the church in Jerusalem and we discussed in a private setting on this very subject...the Good News of Christ being given to the Gentiles. I explained to the group of the Jerusalem church that my intentions were to simply make sure and confirm the fact of the ministry with the Gentiles, and there be no controversy between us, and above all not allowing any disagreement to elevate to a well-known public status. Otherwise, all this work I have put into spreading the love of Christ to all men could be in serious jeopardy.

 Well, here are the results of the meeting. Barnabas, Titus, and myself received total and complete support on the work we are doing in the Gentile nations! Even Titus, who is Greek, and not circumcised, was not in the least bit hassled by that, in fact, no one even mentioned anything about it.
 My support of this ministry which I am totally convinced God has given us in letting all men know the love of Jesus Christ, came to a head in the meeting when a group of "so-called" Christians had slipped in this very meeting to hear about the freedom we now have in Christ.  Their real motive was to extinguish this "freedom for all" and get everyone to thinking we have to follow all Jewish law and regulations even after we receive Christ into our very lives.
 Obviously, that did not "sit well" with me, and I then explained once we have "tasted" of our freedom in Christ, there is absolutely now way we are returning to the Law and all those vain rituals. That would be like returning to the '"slavery within our hearts" that we had before Christ freed us. I continued hard, to the point, and did not back down even an inch to these "Law-abiding Fakes", and by His Grace overcome any of their rebuttal and preserved the Purity of the Gospel itself.

 The Leaders of the church in Jerusalem concluded and heartily agreed:the Gospel we preach is for all men, regardless of their nationality, and Jewish law had no longer any observance in the life we now in Jesus...our Christ! In fact, they really had nothing to add to the gospel we preach and to whom we preach this Message to.
 Now may I say this to clear any misguided thoughts: as far as the reputation of the leaders of the church here in Jerusalem, I was not the least bit intimidated...in fact, they really did not impress me. Here is why, I know in my heart we are all in this thing together, and God doesn't play favorites!
 Actually, quite the opposite happened. They were very cordial to us and recognized the same anointing God has given Peter to proclaim the Good News to fellow Jews, is the same anointing he has given me to proclaim the Good News to the Gentiles.
 The mission Peter has, the mission I have, is the same. We are called to get the Gospel of Christ Jesus to all people!...period!

 So, as a result, the meeting turned out quite well and full of His grace. James, Peter, and John, 3 of the "pillars" of the church, not only recognized this gift God had given me, they also accepted the gifts bestowed on Barnabas, Titus, and all the co-workers of the Gentile nations spreading the Love of Christ Jesus...to all men! We all agreed to continue and follow the leading God has given us...they will continue to work with the Jewish brethren and we will continue to serve the Gentile nations.

 Their one suggestion was that we keep helping the poor...which we all agreed with "one heart"...in fact...I am always eager to do so!"

No comments:

Post a Comment