Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Introductory Thoughts on Lent

The 40 days of Lent is a traditional journey some Christians make as a way to deepen their faith in the Lord Jesus. It can be related to Genesis 12:1 where God called Abraham and Sarah and said to:" Leave your country and your people and your father's household and go to a land I will show you...".
 The word itself "journey" peneginato is a Celtic word in basic Christianity where in some circles a Celt would actually leave his loved ones and home with no specific destination in mind other than to focus him or herself on the inner journey to find or to know Christ in a deeper way...for a 40 day period.

 Today, I don't know if that is the way to do it, (but I do admire the thought of doing something like that), yet I find it important to embark on a "Journey of the Heart" and explore, revere, and contemplate the Cross and the Resurrection of Christ.
 For some Christians, Lent is not an obligation to follow, and I respect that and understand some of the nature behind that train of thought. Yet, for myself I find it a time to enrich my life in Christ, looking at the foundation as to which I have cast my faith, and continue to follow Him with a deeper and long lasting impact as the Journey allows.

 There are numerous stories and a number of Bible verses you can use to begin the Journey, and for myself, the "Last 7 Sayings of Jesus" is just too intriguing to me to not search in this particular season of Lent.
 One story I came across was that of Leonardo De Vinci, who while painting the famous "Last Supper" had some issues with a fellow painter of his time. In fact, it was somewhat serious and Leonardo had decided when he painted Judas Iscariot, he would put this fellow painter's face to Judas. There arose a problem from De Vinci when it came time to paint the face of Christ Jesus...he couldn't. Just couldn't come up with the type of face he wanted to express...until he realized he must make a reconciliation with the painter he was at odds with.
 Well, needless to say he abandoned the Judas Iscariot idea and was able to paint the face of Christ...after he had gone to his fellow painter.

 Is it true...is that what really happened?...I don't know . If it did, cool! If it did not, then maybe the lesson of it is what is to be learned. The scripture is from Matthew 5:23-24: " If you bring your gift to the altar and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift at the altar, go first and be reconciled to your brother, and then come an offer your gift."

Lent can be a journey accompanied by Christ Jesus...to the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment