Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Season of Lent

On February 22nd, Ash Wednesday will have arrived, and for myself and many others it begins the time of year we "take inventory" of ourselves, how we are doing in following our True King, the Lord Jesus.
 Although Lent is observed in various manners and ways, I have found Lent to be a good time to ask myself those "deep soul" type questions and begin to search the scriptures accordingly. Lent also has a way of getting my mind off my "personal agenda" in life and begin to focus on the needs of others...learning to spend time in prayer for strength and having Jesus make Himself known in others lives...especially those around me in everyday life.
 There are a "gazillion" ways to accompany Lent and find its true purpose and meaning in each one of us, from various fasts, prayer, sacrifices, and giving God more control of our lives.
 Questions in my life for example are: "Am I still dealing with the same vices (or sin) that I have had conflict with say 10 years ago?" Or, "What have I done in the last year to give the Lord Jesus an opportunity to use Me in a way He feels is right?"

 This year, I am starting by meditating on the "7 Last Sayings of Christ Jesus", and kind of taking it from there. My objective is to lay a time of preparation so when Ash Wednesday comes about, I have a plan that will be of benefit over the 40 days before Easter. It sounds good anyway, and I will just take a chance and see what happens!

 The first saying is from Luke 23:34. Jesus is already been nailed to the Cross, He has been flogged, mocked, beaten, and dressed up like a king with a vicious crown of thorns pushed down upon His head. He was then beaten some more, spit on, insulted, and humiliated. He was made to carry His own Cross and was executed publicly, stripped of any dignity and left naked while people stood around to watch Him die and when He might die. The soldiers were ordered to stay there until death, and they were gambling over His clothes when Jesus cries from hanging on the Cross...Luke 23:34:" Suddenly, Jesus calls to God: My Father, forgive the people who are killing Me, to whom or what possible results could come of this they are unaware of....they don't know."

 My thoughts on this is: 1) Jesus was totally human when He was going through all this...He knew of pain like we feel pain, He knew of rejection like we feel rejection, He knew of retaliation like we know retaliation, ....He was just like us. But He never gave in.....that is a "mind blower" in itself.
 2) He took the time to ask the Father to forgive them....why? Did not Jesus have the power to forgive? Then another thought occurred to me, what if Jesus had NOT asked the Father to forgive them.....what might have happened? Imagine, you as a Father watching your son or daughter be bludgeoned beyond recognition, and you have the means and power to stop it...so I wonder...was Heaven  at "full alert" that moment, and at that point..the situation could have gone either way...what stopped the Father from coming and rescuing His only Son?
 Obviously....Christ's love for us was greater than the pain He suffered...for us.
 So, as I begin this Lenten Journey, I begin to sense the Awesomeness of Christ and His love for us. I immediately realize how "shallow" my life appears without Christ Jesus in those areas I so desperately need Him. I give some time to the chapter of Isaiah, chapter 59, verses 1-12: and use this as a standard to how I think and approach daily life: Gleanings from Isaiah 59:1-12:

 " Look, God's arm is not too weak, His arm is not too short, nor has His arm been amputated...He has the power to save you!
 No, God has not lost His hearing either, He doesn't get a cold and His ears get stopped up, and He doesn't put in earplugs when you are about to speak.
 You must realize what the problem is...and it is not God...it's you! You are the problem. God is fine!

 Don't you see, its sin that has cut you off from God. Your sin acts like a roadblock, and you never arrive at God's home...you are out in the "boonies" somewhere, lost and dejected.
 Listen, it's the choices you make in the way you live and think....you don't include God in any of it...well, unless you are in trouble and call upon Him like you and He are real "good buds". You can not "use" God like that...for your own intent and purposes.
  Look at your own hands, they are defiled...blood dripping from you fingertips with iniquity. Your lips are smeared with lies, and your tongue is swollen from all the obscenities coming forth.
 You could care less about being fair and honest, just so you get what you want....you know how you go around with that stupid grin saying: "the end justifies the means"....whatever...how's that working for you now?

 Even when you go to court, it's no longer about getting down to the truth of the matter(s), now, it's simply who can lie the best!
 And new ideas you think up...yea..right...anything that has to do with sex, or horror, or violence...you are all for it!
 You look like someone who tries to eat the eggs of a deadly snake, and then leave the rest to hatch.
 Or you think it's cool to make a web, like a spider's web for others to get caught in. The victims can't use your web as a garment, they can't even use it as a shield....it is made to be a trap...and lure them into the sin....YOU PROMOTE!
 Oh, and here is something else you do...when you hear an advertisement, or see a commercial on TV, or read about some new thing about to come out...especially if it has anything to do with evil...you are off! Like a horse out of the gate, running as fast as you can and knocking down anyone in your way.
 What is a constant in your life?.....I would vote.."evil". You live and breathe it! Do you even consider the lives around you and the damage you can cause?
                         What?...What did I hear you say?....."Oh well"...."Is that what you said"

 You just want "peace". Here is a "newsflash"...you don't even know the meaning of the word!
And if you did, you really think you could find it?
 I hate to tell you this, but when justice and fairness come to mind....you certainly don't.
 Even when you are groping for light, you get a hold of more darkness. You are always looking for ways to cheer yourself up (after all..it's all about you!), but you end up embracing only more of the "gloom and doom" of life.
 You go through a variety of emotions...growling like a hungry bear...cooing like a mournful dove...but none of it is working.
 You cry out for Justice...but Justice didn't show up. Now, you need rescue...but I don't rescue people on their terms.

 You see, it is your sin...it is like a tall monument that testifies against....you!

"Oh Lord, my sin has multiplied against You, and testify as to who I am. All of my transgression and iniquity is in plain sight before You....and now, You have opened my eyes and I see the atrocities I have committed against You and my fellow man.
 The damage has been done....I have lost You, my King.

The Lenten Season is a Journey...accompanied by Christ Jesus...to the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment