Thursday, July 25, 2013

Praying for your heart...

There is a blog called "Desiring God", and recently an interesting article by Joe Bloom entitled: "7 Ways to Pray for Your Heart" was posted.....

 Actually, what attracted me to this particular article was the title, however, I had misread it (lol). I thought the title was: 7 Ways to Pray FROM Your Heart". When I read it correctly, it  changed my whole thought process about what I was about to read. I don't know if I have ever thought about "praying FOR my heart", yet I am glad Joe Bloom has
 Praying from my heart is something I try to keep in mind consistently....kind of like "keeping prayer real" and not getting into some repetitious mode like if I pray a certain prayer enough times or with some type of dramatic emotion... it will somehow bring a  magical cure. (Yes...there is value to being persistent,  and written prayers are helpful....I just check myself to make sure these thoughts and prayers are coming from within...like "what I am really thinking.")

 But, praying for my heart... the curiosity was too much...got to check this out...and I am glad I did.

 In this article, Bloom breaks it down to "7 D's to Praying FOR Your Heart". He mentions toward the end of the article that his "7 D's" are not conclusive, and encourages the reader to expand his/her thoughts on what he has initiated. 
 For myself, Bloom's thoughts and ideas on the subject are excellent, and challenges you as a reader to not only adhere to the "7 D's", but create and personalize what Bloom has shared, building to the foundation he has established.

 The "7 D's" to praying FOR your heart....

1. DELIGHT   Learning to find your daily delight in having Christ Jesus in your heart is a process...that takes practice. It is so easy in this modern day of technology to be distracted..from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep. Your timer on the TV wakes you up...maybe there is a discussion going on the station you are listening to, the kids are awake, the cell phone rings....you have 12 messages on e-mail....and your off!
 Taking a certain amount of time in your day...to pray for your heart...takes a little planning. You might even ask yourself..."Why pray for my heart...a little selfish isn't it?" No, it's just the opposite. When you have your heart in the right place...you have now put yourself in a position to really be effective in reaching out to others...whether it be as simple as a smile and "How ya doin'" to knowing how to react when a friend calls you and is really needing help.
 Finding a delight in just knowing Him...seems to initiate His Peace to have reign in your daily activities. In Bloom's article, he suggests 2 verses from the Sacred Scriptures.
 a) Psalm 37:4 "Take time to find your delight in knowing Him, discover the joy of being His friend. You can trust Him that He will give to you the secret petitions of your heart...and answer your heart's desires as well."
b) Matthew 6:21 " The choices you make to put into your "treasure chest" through life, is also the place where your heart will be."

2. DESIRES  Bloom explains this so eloquently and yet identifying a simple truth: "Align the desires of your heart...with His." This can only happen by making a daily habit allowing Him to make those adjustments in our hearts we may be in need of. The Scripture Bloom chose for the word DESIRES is from Saint Matthew,  referencing  the opening lines of the "Our Father" prayer:
  Matthew 6:9-10   " When you pray, let your prayers begin along these lines: " Our Father, who is in heaven, may we set Your Name above all others, helping us to give all the honor to You...and Your Great Name. Reveal to us who You really are...by allowing Your Kingdom to be established within us. Let Your Will be made manifest in our lives here on earth...just as it is in heaven...where You are...."

3. DEPENDENCE  This particular thought or virtue is not one I have found easily attainable in certain times of my life. It seems particularly hard to do when "things are going good", my confidence is running high, and I think take on life at the moment...and win. I certainly think there is value in having a "winning attitude"...yet I must remind myself to "stick to the basics"....taking time each day to find my true comfort...the source of my confidence...being dependent on Him. The passage of Scripture Bloom chose for DEPENDENCE is from the Gospel of Saint John: 
 John 15:5   " I am the vine, you are the branches. You have made the decision to be joined with Me...and to remain with Me. Together we will grow and your harvest will be plentiful...having abundant fruit for not only yourself but for others as well. Remember, if you choose to cut off yourself from Me...your harvest will be...nothing."


 4 more to go.........

No comments:

Post a Comment