Friday, August 29, 2014

"How does one...talk with Jesus?"

I have read and listened to numerous ways people pray to God...and I have read and listened to numerous ways people feel or know God has spoke to them....

 I think the key to it all...is recognizing that "still small Voice". It's like a blend of true conviction about something (not guilt which never offers solutions), a deep down knowing in your heart what you should do or know what the right answer is, or sometimes a "leap of faith" with a kind of excitement it is the right thing to do...even if you don't want to do it.
 Hearing from Jesus...brings it own unique qualities it seems.

 Here is a story or an example of how it works for me.

 I tend to speak to Christ Jesus in  a set aside time of prayer, sometimes while I am mowing the lawn, or sometimes even when I read or see something...and I pause and make a "prayer comment" directed toward Him...and He always seem to respond...maybe not at that moment...yet He always responds.
 Now granted, I don't make a public show of this, or get a little weird acting in front of others...lol...yet I do always try to keep the lines of communication...open.
 Most the time it is about the Scripture. I am one who is not afraid to challenge, question, and at times disagree with some of the things I read in the Sacred Scripture. Am I respectful about it?...of course, but I am not one to "buy into something" just because...as in this case..." it's in the bible". That doesn't mean I resist His teachings...just don't always understand where He is coming from or where He is going with a particular passage.

Ok...here is the story....

 One day I had been reading from the Gospel of Luke, chapter 6. Jesus was teaching His disciples a lifestyle He was instructing Him to incorporate into their lives. Some of the things He had said...just seemed odd to me and so I was having those "heart to heart" conversations, thinking over what I had been reading and walking into a grocery store to get a few things. Now, let me make this clear...I wasn't talking to myself or doing anything to draw attention to myself...lol...I haven't lost it quite yet, rather, in was that silent communication that goes back and forth between your mind and heart.
 One part that was kind of bugging me was when Jesus said in Luke 6:29-30 "If someone grabs your shirt, gift wrap your best coat and make a present of it. (Messenger). Give what you have to anyone who asks for it, and don't worry about getting it back. (Living Translation)".

 OK, the brunt of the message in this chapter was basically to be unselfish and don't worry about yourself. Above all, put others first and be kind, honest, concerned about others and their need to have Him in their hearts. I kind of get that...but in reality...my question to Him was "Do people really do this in everyday life?...especially being honest, unselfish etc. I do realize people give to charities and all that, but if I saw someone in the grocery store and they needed something in the grocery store and asked for my help to get it..I would probably say..."Really?"...I might go ahead and do it...but I would probably consider it a weird experience...and I doubt I would consider buying all his groceries he had...mainly because I have such apprehension about stuff like that....I am not saying I am right...I am just sayin'...that's me. I am rather conservative and quiet when it comes to helping others and my first thought...great, give a helping hand...might have a "friend for life". Again, I know...I got some issues...yet I do trust Him He will work them through...in spite of me...lol. 

 So, after I had gotten the items I needed (or wanted...depending how you view it lol), I came to the check out counter. It was extremely busy and as I finished my transaction...I noticed something. The lady in front of me was seemingly in a little hurry and somehow 3 whole chickens that she had purchased...were accidentally put into my cart by the bagger. 
  My reaction? Well, being the unselfish, kind, concerned for others Christian I am...I spoke up and said "Maam, these belong to you." Uhhh...no...I did not do that.
 In fact, my initial reaction was..."Going to eat good tonight...looks like I have chicken on the menu!"  Oh yea...I am a "walking bible"...I am (lol).

Enter...that still, small Voice.....

 Ok, I don't know how God speaks to you, but for me...He is gracious to blend my personality and my vocabulary in a way I can totally relate to. So...what was the first words I heard for Heaven's Gate?....it was..."Really?"
  And "really" is all He had to say...I was quite aware of where He was going with this. So, He seemed to proceed and say to my heart: " To answer your question earlier about people living an HONEST lifestyle...you are right...that would be a negative...at least what I see now."
 Anyway, to keep this story from getting too long, I received conviction within, went outside and proceeded to look for the lady who had paid for the 3 chickens I now had in my cart. Now at first, I was not all that fond of giving the 3 chickens up that easily...and I did mention in an inward manner "Lord, did You happen to notice the "rock" on her finger...I don't think she is going to miss these chickens"...and before I finished that thought...there was the lady...putting her groceries into a...Mercedes 450 SL...my dream car!
 I then watched her for a minute and she didn't even seem to notice her chickens were not there (isn't it stupid how we rational what we do....trying to "Christianize" things...lol). Here then came that still small Voice once more: "Hey, I have an idea....speak up!...so she can hear you!"

 Ok, I did...I yelled "Maam"...and at first she appeared apprehensive...understand that...and I continued "I think (yea I think alright) your chickens might have been misplaced and put in my cart." Now comes the good part: "Are these yours?"...still hoping lol.
 This lady looked at her bags and responded: "Yes...thank-you! That is very nice of you to find me and bring the chickens. My nephew is back from a tour in Afghanistan, and he happens to be fond of my roasted chicken." Now, here comes the part that I am sure still has Heaven laughing: "You know, it's not often anymore to see people with integrity and honesty like yours."
 Then...here He comes in that still small Voice (which seemed quite loud at the moment): "Tell her." I then responded in my mind..."Tell her what?...No...I am not going to tell her I was out to take her chickens!" And His response? "Chicken."
So, by His Grace I spoke up and said; "Maam, unfortunately I am not as pretty as I look (yea I know, workin' on that lol,,,), I happen to be a Christian...and because of Him, I am giving back your chickens."
 She looked at me and smiled. Then she spoke once more and said: "Well, you tell that God of yours...thank you!" Suddenly, she looked at me and said" This might be a God-thing...I forgot to get milk!" Well...guess who had milk...in his cart?

 This lady was seemingly in a hurry...and so I "volunteered this time....no still small Voice needed...well at the moment)" and said : "Maam, I just bought this milk and would be glad to give it to you." She said: "Well, I can't tell you how much that would help me...I am short on time. Here, I will certainly pay you for it."
 I then said : "I would gladly accept your money...and if I was perfectly honest...hope you would give me a tip...but...not today. Please take the milk...as a gift...from..you know who, and pointed up in the sky."
 She looked at me once more and said: "Wow...I would have never thought God was hanging out in a parking lot....Thank you!"

 I never have seen this lady since...but I have heard from that still small Voice....as I got into my vehicle...these words came "Now, why are you all "fired up" about Luke, chapter 6 again?"

No comments:

Post a Comment