Sunday, September 29, 2013

"You Can't Handle the Truth"...Well, I know you can't earn the Truth...for sure!

In the Letter to the Romans in the New Testament "library" , Saint Paul puts emphasis on this thought: Putting our trust and faith in Christ Jesus...is NOT a new message........

 In Romans 4:3 Paul reminds us of two Old Testament men who practiced the Christian faith...by simply putting their trust in what God says.
 1. The prophet Isaiah referred to Abraham as a "friend of God" (Isaiah 41:8)....and later Isaiah identifies Abraham as a "righteous man" (Isaiah 51:1-2). Why?... Because of the Genesis 15:6 which reads: " God accepted Abraham...because Abraham believed what God had said. God accepted Abraham as a friend...because Abraham accepted what God had spoke to him.  Furthermore, God Himself called Abraham righteous...because Abraham simply believed Him...NOT because Abraham had somehow earned his righteousness...or his friendship with God.
2. King David had also learned a secret to knowing God...knowing Him is something we CAN NOT earn. In Psalm 32: 7-8 David writes: " You are a hiding place...for me! You not only preserve me in the midst of trouble, You surround me with Your songs...You so gently put in my heart...Your songs of Deliverance...accompanied with Your songs...of Victory!
 It is You O Lord...who has spoken to...me! You look at me "eye to eye" offering Your advice and promising to "shoot it to me straight"...saying " I will point out to you the road you should follow. I will counsel you...I will advise you, and because you have accepted Me to be your Teacher...I am committed to watching and keeping My loving eyes upon you!"
 David too confirms our relationship with God is not determined by our own actions.

 Now Saint Paul seems to elaborate here in Romans...Romans 4:4-5 writing:

 " When you are hard at work and the day comes for you to be paid for your work, you certainly don't refer to you hard earned wages...as a gift! Rather, it is an obligation ...something that has been earned.
 Yet, in the Kingdom of God, if we are to be considered Righteous in God, and become a friend of God (like Abraham), this CAN NOT be made possible through any hard efforts of our own. We can only  begin a relationship with God...when we come to the end of ourselves and willingly surrender our lives coupled with a lifelong commitment and a genuine belief that by putting our complete trust in Him and making this statement of Faith: "We recognize we are sinners in our selves and our only hope of restoring a true friendship with God is by putting our trust in His Beloved Son, knowing we are unable to do any of this...on our own." It is at this precise moment we realize God forgives each of us...sinners as we are...because of our acceptance of His Dear Son.
 This type of faith which is required of each one of us is not based on "a blind leap into the unknown", as many would have you believe. Rather, it is based on this fact: God really does have...a Real Son..and this Son, His Only Dear Son has completely redeemed us...with no added efforts or works of our own.
 Upon making this decision to accept...His Complete Work..and have this Work of Christ implemented into our daily lives, we now inherit an inner confidence that gives us the strength to trust God...and He is found faithful to keep His Promises, including never to forsake us as His very own, and provide for all our needs."  

   Another thing about "earning your way to a relationship and friendship with God"....it doesn't "fly too well" with Jesus. In the Gospel of Saint Luke, Jesus spoke another one of His many parables saying....

                                                       A Gleaning from Luke 18:9-14

 " Two guys arrive at the Temple...and they went inside...to pray. One of the guys was a religious leader within the community...a Pharisee, while the other was a man whose vocation was despised by many...for he was a tax collector.........

 The Pharisee, after entering the Temple, found a place where he was alone...not to be in seclusion, rather, so when he began to pray he would have the center of attention and be heard and seen by others.
 Then, clearing his throat, he announced to others the following (the Pharisee thought this to "be in prayer"): "Oh God, I have come here to give thanks!...to You! For you see O God, I am grateful!...grateful I am not like the others you see around here.
 I have judged  myself  "not guilty" in reference to being a GREEDY person ( could you not see the Pharisee looking directly at the tax collector?), No...I am not one to... be given to EXTORTION...taking money from good and honest people. Furthermore God (in case God was unaware of his "accomplishments" lol), I have also found myself deemed"not guilty" in reference to dishonesty or unfaithfulness in my marriage ( two common accusations given to the tax collectors of that day)...like some other people I know. I am also grateful I refuse to swindle others, cheat people, or come to You...here in the Temple...acting like You are pleased with them....when they are full of sin. In fact God....I don't remember the last time I actually sinned...against You. And of course You are aware I continue to fast twice a week...and everything I earn?...why of course...one tenth of it...I give to You! Amen 

 Meanwhile, the other guy, the tax collector that had entered the Temple about the same time as the Pharisee, was merely standing off at a distance from the Pharisee. This tax collector was in such fear and awe of God that he was afraid to even allow his eyes to look up toward heaven.
 Instead, the tax collector was beating on his own chest...in sorrow...standing in the shadows, his face now in his hands, afraid to look up...and praying: "God...be gracious and merciful to me...for I know I am but a wicked sinner."

 Jesus then commented on the parable He had just spoke saying: " After these 2 men had left the Temple and returned home, let Me say this. It was NOT the Pharisee whose prayer was pleasing to God...nor would He accept this type of so-called prayer. Why? Because the Pharisee was not saying a prayer to God at all...he was simply announcing to others who would hear him...of his proud and personal accomplishments, along with putting himself above others.
 The tax collector?...Yes, his prayer was heard...by God! And God not only heard this man's prayer, He accepted his prayer...for God considers this type of prayer...a righteous prayer!"


 I have found there are many today...who do not see themselves ungodly, nor do they see the necessity...to be Born Again........just sayin'


No comments:

Post a Comment