Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pushed to the Edge....part 4

As I look at one of my favorite Bible passages from the Gospel of John, chapter 8, there is so much for me to take notice. Honestly, when we arrive in Heaven, I think 2 people I can hardly wait to meet are: 1) Queen Esther...I did an entire story on her earlier in this blog...and she is someone I have the utmost respect for, and 2) this adulterous woman who is described here in John chapter 8. I just want to hear if possible her side of the story of what really went on.
 I really don't know of what type of discussions go on in the afterlife...yet if there are times we can share how Christ Jesus had an influence in our lives, these 2 women have my total interest! I guess I will just have to wait and see...

Ok, here we are in chapter 8. The Scribes and the Pharisees have brought this woman in front of the crowd who came to hear Jesus, and they have rudely interrupted Jesus while He was yet speaking to them.
 Now, the first rather obvious question to me is..."Where is the guy?...the guy that was caught in this adulterous affair?" As pointed out earlier, even the Oral Torah said they must BOTH be brought before the priest...right?
 Where is Agatha Christie?...I could sure use some tips on figuring this one out!

 After a few days of pondering this, here is my conclusion. Understand, this is PURE SPECULATION...this is not in the Sacred Scriptures...this is just my idea that was formed from being trained in listening to my Mom talk about different mysteries she had read....and bedtime stories?...no, I didn't hear the Aesop's Fables or nursery rhymes. I was usually read a chapter from the latest mystery by...who else...dear Agatha!

 I think...the male adulterer was...one of their own...a Scribe or a Pharisee. Remember, the whole motive behind all this was to trap Jesus so they could gather some evidence against Him that He was a false teacher, perhaps even a "whacko", and simply dismiss His credibility and ultimately...get rid of Him!
 You have heard the phrase, "the end justifies the means"? Well, I think that is what was going on here. I think "one of their own boys...took one for the team." And, the deal was...they wouldn't bring him into the situation at hand.  I'm just sayin'.
   First, these Scribes and Pharisees knew exactly where Jesus was at in these early dawn hours, which may have been a common thing in those days, I don't know. What I do know is when I don't like someone, I don't care where they are at or what they are doing...unless of course I have come up with a devious plan to...hurt or "destroy" them.

 The "Oral Torah" was a "nice tool" for the Scribes and Pharisees to have. If you read about their relationship with women, and the rules that applied, these guys had quite a few "loopholes" to choose from.
 When researching on the different aspects of the Oral Torah, it seems to me it is almost endless with options available for the recipient of following its laws. It reminds me of our own form of democratic government here in America: conservative views, liberal views, being able to  "work the system" to get desired results. 
 Some documents instill strict rules for example if a follower of the Torah would be wanting a divorce, making it extremely difficult to do so. Yet, others who embrace the Oral Torah during the time when Jesus was one of us, a woman could simply cook a poor meal....and be subject to divorce. 

 So, in this early morning hour as the Scribes and Pharisees came to Jesus...to destroy His credibility and with the hope of getting rid of Him, the adulterous woman was thrown in front of Him, while the man was perhaps....hidden among them.

 Continuing on with this passage in John 8, it reads: " The Scribes and the Pharisees then placed the woman in the middle of everyone present, and announced: "Teacher, this woman was caught sleeping...in the very act of adultery....for the man she was  in bed with...was not her husband! Now, the Law of Moses specifically states that a person that is caught in an adulterous act just like this one, and we have caught her...is to be stoned to death! Wouldn't you agree?"
 I can't help but think...do you think Jesus, while sitting and listening to all this, looked directly into the eyes of the "other half" of this adulterous claim...the man....who was perhaps in the middle of this religious bunch, ducking his head and wondering..."What will He do?" Or, what if this adulterous woman had known many of them...in the bed? There had to be a reason(s) she was accused...alone. One more thought...what if the woman had been "set-up", and they were simply using her as a "pawn"...to attempt to destroy Jesus and the Message of hope and love He was proclaiming?

 Now, what did Jesus do? How did He react?..........Hmmmm...we will see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment