Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why is it so hard to "get into" the Sacred Scriptures...part 2

I'm on this theme of 7 reasons I use for NOT getting into the Sacred Scriptures....

2. What is referred to by some as "Misguided Fears". Besides all of my "excuses" for not reading the Sacred Scriptures...you know, stuff like...boring, hard to understand, written in a different time...therefore I can't really really relate, or my ever popular...I don't want to; I have found these are often symptoms of what the root cause might be..."What if God really does speak to my heart when I read His Instructions....what if He "hits home" on something...and I know He is "talkin' to me"? Or, "What if I try to read the Scriptures and what I fear would happen does happen?...nothing  really  makes any sense to me. Isn't it kind of a waste of time?...for God and for me? The Scriptures...couldn't He have written differently?...like a novel...or People magazine? Boy, if you could read it like "Cosmopolitan"...then maybe I could relate. "

  There is a Psalm...Psalm 19 to be exact. It was written by David, most likely in the earlier part of his life. The first part of the chapter could indicate he wrote this in the early morning hours, perhaps after being out all night tending to the sheep...maybe he witnessed the sunrise coming up over Moab...who knows for sure, yet in verse 7 he says some pretty remarkable things. One thing of note: David refers to God as...Lord. It was common in those days that referring to God as God...was more of respect of who He is...without personal attachments...yet when he refer to Him as...Lord, it implies you have already made a decision to follow this God...and now He has become your Lord........

 A Gleaning from Psalm 19:7

 " It is Your Laws, Your Instructions that we receive...and it now becomes very aware to me...they come directly from You, my Lord. The beauty of these Instructions, these Scriptures...are to act as a refreshment to all that makes up "me being me"...my thoughts, my desires, my mind, my will to pursue things in life, and my emotions as well.
 For I have discovered, the Sacred Scriptures actually contain the power to "pull my life together", the power to make sense out of things that sometimes don't make sense in my everyday life, and the Scriptures are quite capable of touching every area of my life that concerns me...providing purpose and meaning to an otherwise empty and lack of fulfillment in the style of life I now live. These Sacred Scriptures becomes an intimate refreshment that contains His love...His "drive" ...to accomplish what My Lord really wants from me...the "Joy of Friendship".
 When I make the choice to listen to His advice...to give some priority and actively participate in reading and listening to the Words my Lord have spoken...trusting the Holy Spirit to grant understanding within my very soul... there seems to follow this power that accompanies His Words which not only seeks to preserve my life...but rises and gives a live demonstration of His power to restore my life as well.
 When I can give myself to this train of thought...shaking off all the "misguided fears" of  previous thoughts I may have had concerning this great God of ours...it becomes evident to me His Instructions are clear...and maps out a new and better path for my daily life to travel on.
 Along with this great and vast discovery, I find my Lord to be ever trustworthy, and His Divine Wisdom is available to all people...ordinary people like myself...there are no secret codes we have to solve...there are no pieces of a puzzle we have to put together,,,there is no mysterious treasure map we have to follow carefully or we will be off course. The Sacred Scriptures simply speaks to us in a plain and simple manner, one that has a pleasant voice and is "easy on our eyes"...saying: "I give all I Am...to you..... My yoke is easy, My burden is light...Come".

No comments:

Post a Comment