Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Finding "Excitement"...reading the Sacred Scriptures

 I think if I had to come up with the most disturbing thing that bothers me in reference to enjoying and being a part of a lifestyle known as Christianity...it would be this: many Christians don't find the Scriptures interesting enough to read, others don't read it because they can't relate to it's meanings, or some read the Sacred Scriptures with a "religious overtone" and it becomes nothing more than obeying a set of rules...not dealing with matters of the heart.
 I know for myself I take great liberties at times when doing a "Gleaning of the Scriptures". The reason I do this is I am quite serious about following Christ Jesus, and when I engage reading His Word...I desperately need His Understanding of what is being said, and apply it to my daily life. I am a sinner...saved by His Grace...and without His help by learning of His Word...I will not function well as a liberated Christian.
 And that is why I choose to "Glean the Scriptures"...trying to cut through, understand, and apply what our Great God is saying to us...to me!
 Normally, I give about 1 1/2 to 3 hours for every 12 to 15 verses (approx.) I am studying, reading 4 or 5 commentaries, looking at 10 to 12 various translations and paraphrases, and reading articles that may relate to a particular subject I am interested in. I have come to love this part of examining the Scriptures, and there are literally "volumes" of great written works on almost any subject of the Scriptures. It simply brings the Scriptures to "Life".

 I have come to embrace and to love the Scripture verse from 2 Timothy 3:16...and here is how I take it:

 "All Scripture is God-breathed...the Scripture is given personally...to each one of us...all done through His Inspiration!
 Here then is how we are to use the Scriptures God has so graciously and gently breathed upon...that we might find our lives in Him!:
1. The Sacred Scriptures shows us what God is really like...and even more importantly, the Scriptures show us what God thinks we are really like.
2. The Sacred Scriptures teaches us...it provides us with the vital instructions each one of us needs in our daily lives...by giving to us the Truth and meaning of Life itself.
3. The Sacred Scriptures exposes rebellion...living within our own hearts...rebellion that is directly against God who is now our Father, and gives us clarity as to the wrong that may inhabit our individual and daily lives. Yet, the Scriptures do not stop there...but shows us the way to obtaining forgiveness, cleansing, and total freedom by the acceptance of His Dear Son, our Lord...Jesus...the Christ.
4. The Sacred Scriptures give us the training we need to live our daily lives by His Strength, showing us through His Dear Son the way to freedom, finding complete fulfillment in our lives as well.
 Simply put: the Sacred Scriptures...makes our lives worth living!"

 I honestly don't think the Sacred Scriptures were meant to be boring...I don't think the Sacred Scriptures were meant for us to read like "robots"..with no creativity or thought or opinions of what we may be reading at the moment. In fact, I believe God wants our very hearts to challenge what He has so gloriously written, apply what we learn, and have a friendship based on a mutual love for one another.
 Interpret the Scripture?...I dare you...just keep your heart open to the leading of the Holy Spirit...you might find surprises where He leads you. If you find the Scriptures boring...or a certain verse(s) doesn't make any sense...say so...to Him...believe me...the "fun" has just begun. Having a friendship with God...it can get a "little wild"!

 By faith...trust Him...many have throughout history...not sure of their final destination at the time...but putting all their trust...in Him.

 I always thought Socrates made an interesting comment once, almost comical. He wrote: " I decided it was not wisdom that enable poets to write their poetry, but a kind of inspiration, the kind you see in seers and prophets...who deliver their sublime messages without always knowing what they mean."

 Finding excitement in the Scriptures....there is a way...it's out there...and we all have unique ways to find that excitement...go for it!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment