Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"...Hallowed beThy Name"...and "Hallow"-ween

I have always enjoyed the fall season, and I particularly like the idea of harvest time...the pumpkins, the gourds, the corn stalks tied together, the Indian corn, and such.
 I also have always looked forward to Halloween, a kind of gala event for myself, going to parties and participating in the costume dress, drinking a few, enjoying my friends, dancing, and in general just having a good time.

 This year I have had a rather odd incident occur to me, and it has to do with words...well, actually a word...Halloween. I have done my share of study on the history of Halloween and recognize the fact it was birthed in a pagan (non-Christian) origin because of agricultural reasons generated by the fear of not having enough and the fear of having enough food for oneself and family to survive a cold and hard winter. I also realize that in its origin Halloween was basically making a covenant with the Lord of Darkness to dispel the fears I earlier mentioned....and at times it was taken to the extreme. The Druids of Ireland in the Middle ages are an example of going to the extremes by promoting human sacrifice to appease the Lord of Darkness and give a sign through a human sacrifice so all might be well for the upcoming winter.( During that era perhaps as high as 50% of local populations would lose their lives because of winter).

 Yet, the thing that has gotten to me this year is not all the pagan traditions that have continued through time, but the word "Halloween" itself. Halloween, or as in the old Gaelic words, "Hallow's Eve" is troublesome to me....because of the word "Hallow".
 Hallow is described as: to declare sacred or holy, to honor with the feeling of deep respect, to admire and to adore, and to set apart from all the rest.
 Now, here is the why the word "Halloween" rubs me the wrong way...this year anyway.

 In the Sacred Scriptures, the word "hallow or hallowed" is used approximately 48 times. You will find it in the Amplified version, the King James and the New King James most generally. The highlight of this word is in the Lord's Prayer in St. Matthew 6, starting in verse 9: "Our Father who art in heaven, HALLOWED BE THY NAME..."

 In ancient Jewish times, a person's name was taken as a type of personality they had with their name. Joseph for example, is defined as "adding to", meaning to have generosity and  to support the people of the land of Israel or those of his own.
 God the Father Himself goes by a number of names: for healing He is Jehovah-Rophe, for guidance He is our shepherd Jehovah-Rohi,  the name Jehovah itself means He reveals Himself to us, and so on.

 So, when Christ Jesus was teaching His disciples how to pray, He opened up with..."Hallow be Thy Name...
 Now I come to the word "Halloween"...and I have to ask myself...am I saying..."Holy, to be affectionately adored, or do I regard this as sacred?...this particular night or holiday?
 The answer to that for me is: "No!...No I don't!" I regard it as a fun time with my friends..a time to celebrate and embrace life...and to enjoy the gifts and blessing God has given to me.

 I am of the belief that this is just another example of Satan, the Lord of Darkness, trying to steal another name of our Great God...and applying it to Himself. There is nothing holy about Satan, he is not someone I highly esteem or want to set apart as the  one who gives me Life, and I certainly don't find him adorable.
 Jesus made it clear as to the type of names Satan goes by. Since I am kind of on the more traditional translations today, I will use the American King James Version to identify the Lord of Darkness true names according to Jesus....in St. John 10:10. It reads: "The thief comes not, but only to steal, to kill, and to destroy. I am come that they might have Life, and that they might have it...more abundantly."
 Satan has names that clearly identifies he has no concern at all for any of us....his names are: "Thief", "Killer", and "Destroyer". It makes no difference what name he attempts to steal from the One who truly loves us,...the Lord of Darkness could never live up to our God's name...nor are those his intentions anyway. Satan is out to separate us...and live in the misery he lives in....void of any love of the Father.
 One of Jesus names is "Immanuel", meaning "God with us". I am soooo glad He is!

 Will I be going to a halloween party this year? Honestly...not sure yet...but here is what I am doing! Every time I see...or hear...or read the word "Halloween", I say to myself..."No...not Halloween.....Hallow be Thy Name".
 And you know what I am finding...if you do that 4 or 5 times a day, especially this time of year...there seems to be a "rumbling" inside me that starts to occur....I think El-Shaddai (He blesses me)...does just that!  Try it...it's kind of cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment