Monday, November 5, 2012

Why is it so hard to "get into" the Sacred Scriptures?...part 5

#5 reason (out of 7) on excuses not to get into the Sacred Scriptures, this is one that I find pretty common among many of us: "I'm too busy to read the Sacred Scriptures."
 There are numerous reasons why I use this one, and it seems it all stems from losing priorities in my life. Here are a few...
1. Self-Pride: I talk myself into believing either: 1) God has already equipped me with the things I need to deal with everyday life, so I just need to "hunker down" and face life "like a man", or 2) I got a lot on "my plate" at the moment, and as time allows, or as soon as I am through all this, I will get to reading the Scriptures again. In the meantime, a "quick in and out", kind of like my prayer life, is all I have the time for.
2. Misguided Fears: My Pastor or Priest is God's messenger to bring the Scriptures to "light" in my life...I neither have the time, the understanding, or the educational background to study the meaning of the Sacred Scriptures.
3. Burnout: Because of my limited knowledge on how to study His Word anyway, I end up in a burn-out. I think it is best to leave that kind of thing to others.
4. Anxiety and Unrest: Right now my life is rather reckless, I no sooner have one problem coming at me...and suddenly there are 3 more staring me in the face.
5. Hurts and Grudges: There is a cruel world out there...they don't even think about God and the Bible...there is only one way to combat the cruelties I face in life...fight "fire with fire".
6. God and His Word: No offense to His Word, it just seems like I am often in the "me against the world" mentality, and when I read a bible verse....I just don't relate.
7. Appreciation: I don't know too much about the Bible, but I make it a daily affirmation for me to say: "Thank-you God...we are hangin' in there."
                And there are many more....

 In life, I have found there seems to be 3 basic mentalities I can "take on" (no, I am not schizophrenic lol), and here is what I take notice in me...
First, my "Compulsive" Moods: I become highly motivated to "get things done"...even if they might not be prioritized right, or hurt someone else. When I get like this my thoughts are often dominated with self-interests, personal achievements, flexing a little "power" in what is going on in my life, and I think it is only right that I be recognized! I get result oriented, success is the judge, and yet I do want to give a "Christian appearance" through all this.
 Secondly, if the first one fails, I go the other extreme and become..."Complacent": I lose my "drive" to do anything, I get in that mode where the only answer now is to seek Pleasure. I don't want to deal with anybody or anything and I just want God to bless me...I am not involved with anything anymore...if God wants to say something to me from His Scriptures...fine...bring it to me...I don't want anything to do with anybody or anything.
 Thirdly, when I stop letting my emotions dictate the course of my daily life, then I get into a "Committed" role, and give time to reading the Scripture, perhaps just one verse, or a section, or an entire Book...that puts me on His path...and gives me the guidance, the wisdom, and the joy to be ready to deal with everyday life. When I get like this, it seems my motivation has the right intentions and follow through, my daily joy in life is not based on whether I succeed or fail, I have a more "servant outlook" toward others, actually listening and having concern over what others might be facing in their lives, and here is the big one for me: I want to be used by God...instead of me...using God.
 The Sacred Scriptures do have the power...to make things right and good in our daily lives...yet it demands of us....surrender...surrender to the fact that His Word is more important than the food on our plates...it takes time....and can be a process...and yet it is a necessity for survival.

 A Gleaning from Luke 10: 38-42

 " As Jesus and His disciples traveled on...toward Jerusalem, they came upon a village. In this village was a woman named Martha, and she welcomed Him into her home.
 Martha had a sister, named Mary, and when Jesus arrived, Mary simply dropped what she was doing, came and sat at the feet of Jesus (perhaps washed His feet from the travel as was customary in those days), and remained there...at His feet...listening to every word He spoke.
 Martha, meanwhile stepped away from Jesus because there was much work to be done, including a dinner that had to be prepared. After a while, Martha was perturbed...here she was "slaving away" with all the dinner preparations, and Mary was sitting...at His feet listening to Jesus. After all, how long does it take to wash someone's feet? She is probably just "stalling around so she could get out of helping with some of the work that needed done is what Martha could have been thinking.
 So, Martha decided to "nip this in the bud" and went directly to Jesus. Whether she interrupted Him, or just stood there in front of Him....not listening to what He might have been saying...but waiting for some eye contact or something so she could say "her piece" in all this situation that had developed. Finally, Martha found a chance to speak and said: "Lord, have You noticed, or perhaps You were too deep in thought, that my sister has not been helping me, but instead, just remains at Your feet while I am stuck with all the work? Would You please have the courtesy to tell her she needs to be helping me!...instead of just sitting there?"
 Jesus, aware of Martha's frustration...and possibly the cause of her rudeness, spoke and said: "Martha, my beloved Martha, I know you are anxious and troubled about so many things at the moment, but you must take the time to realize this: there is only one essential thing you need to be doing right now. Mary has just discovered the most essential thing she needs in her life...why try and take that away from her?....(and perhaps Jesus invited her to come and sit)."

 The Gospel of St. Luke was the only one of the four Gospels to write of this.....

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment