Tuesday, November 27, 2012

There is a time of sadness....

Lamentations are the writings of the prophet Jeremiah. It has been referred to as some as: "A Book of Sad Poems".

 Actually, there are 5 poems within Lamentations and they all center on Jerusalem. Jerusalem...has been invaded and destroyed by a foreign army, and now lies burnt...and broken.
 Jeremiah?...he was a prophet of Israel who loved his people, and a man heartbroken from the siege of Jerusalem.

 I think there are times in our own individual lives we are attacked and sieged...by things in life, things didn't work out the way we thought they might or a terrible tragedy has struck.
 It seems to be logical when these things occur to: 1) blame God...after all isn't He suppose to be loving and kind? 2) blame the devil...after all isn't he the author of everything evil?

 I think here in this chapter of Lamentations, Jeremiah teaches us what is probably the first course of action we should take...to allow God to speak to our hearts as to what we need to do "now" in response to a calamity or devastating event that sometimes happen in life.

 Sometimes things happen and there really is no logical reason to it, other times bad things happen because we "set ourselves up" for it to happen...and then wonder...Why?
 No one can explain why everything happens in our lives...yet Jeremiah offers a  response that is valuable...regardless of our situation.
 It's all about our attitude...at least that is the way I see it...its those times in our lives when you might think God has let you down...or even abandoned you...yet...you must remind yourself that is not true.
 In fact, there have been times when I sense a real closeness with Him...when "all hell has broke loose  in my own life", or so it seems. I think it goes back to a matter of trust...a matter of faith that says: " My eyes tell me I am sooo done, yet my heart cries out..."Abba"...
 
 One English word I truly love is the word "Instead". I think I like this word so much because it has an "offering of hope" with it...a way out you might say.
 Have you ever noticed the difference between the word "guilt"...and "conviction"? To me, guilt makes a judgment, condemns your actions, reminds you of its consequences, and leaves you pretty much hopeless.
 Conviction on the other hand...it too will point out the fault or wrong you may have done...yet is there to say: "Hey, we'll have to correct that...and then I will show you a way out...so it doesn't have to happen...ever again".

 By the way the word "instead" means: On the contrary, there is an alternative, or "we can put this in its place"......

                       A Gleaning from Lamentations 3:40-42

 " Instead, take a good look on how you are living, examine your lifestyle, and test it to see if it is "holding up" to what the Sacred Scriptures declare on how we are to live.
 And if you come across areas within you that are not complimentary to the teachings of the Scripture, redirect your lifestyle, find comfort in His companionship, and allow yourself the freedom to find yourself...in His Commandments and  replace any rebellious areas within you .

 For it is when you make these type of adjustments in your daily routines in life....you are able to lift up your head, lift up your heart, and lift up your hands...and then "mount up" in prayers to our God...with a repentant heart saying:
  " I have rebelled against You O Ancient One, I have openly chose to be contrary and willfully ignored Your very Words...and how is it You are able to forgive me...when I don't even acknowledge...I have hurt You?"

Later, in verse 57 of the same chapter, it reads...

 "And when I came to You,
               When I was in my darkest need....
   You are the One who comforted me...telling me,
   " Do not be moved by...fear...I have a plan for you!"....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment