Saturday, November 24, 2012

Don't you just hate it...when a "Mount Hermon" comes along?

In Psalm 42, it reminds me what I am suppose to do...when things seem to get "all messed up" in daily life. This chapter illustrates to me..."the ball is in my corner" sort of speak....I can either choose to let my mind, my will, and my emotions take control and influence me with thoughts the Scriptures really don't say, or I can take control and remind my own mind, my will, and my emotions...the only way through certain situations in life...is clinging to what the Sacred Scriptures dictate...what the Scriptures DO SAY.

 Mount Hermon is mentioned in this passage. the word Hermon itself means "abrupt"...which often classifies at times in our daily lives how things all of a sudden get "all messed up."
 We can be going along in daily life and might feel like we are in "cruise control"...then all of a sudden...abruptly...stuff happens.
 And when you have a "Mount Hermon" come along...it could be a big one...a catastrophe, a bad report, or something that can really "wrench your gut".

 Mt. Hermon is located in the northern part of Israel and is a pretty good size mountain. It has the name "ice mountain" because of its heights giving place to ski resorts etc.
 Also in this Psalm...the River Jordan is mentioned. It is described in a rather vicious sort of way, and here is the thing: the River Jordan has its beginnings from...Mount Hermon. At certain times a year, the rains coming down from Mount Hermon will run into the Jordan...and then the Jordan would run over rocks, create waterfalls, and certain parts of the river got pretty deep.

 Kind of like our lives at times don't you think? We have a "Mount Hermon" come at us...and if that's not enough...the "fury of the Jordan" comes along at the same time.
 Have you ever heard someone say..."Life just keeps getting deeper and deeper"? The meaning for me is: life is difficult at the moment...and it seems to be getting worse...each step I take.

 Some Bible scholars have concluded something else about Mount Hermon: they think this is where " The Transfiguration" took place....where God spoke and said: " This is My Own Dear Son....He is the One...keep ALL your attention focused on....Him! Listen to every word He has to say!"

                            A Gleaning from: Psalm 42: 6-8

 " Now I am going to say this from my heart...You...You are my God!

At the moment...it doesn't appear so. There is a real battle "raging within me"... that demands "TOTAL MUTINY". My own will is declaring it cannot "go on", my mind is questioning every thought I submit, and my emotions...they just want "total and complete control"...and lead in a rebellion against You...my Lord.
 All of them: my will...my mind...and my emotions have "thrown their lot in" to go one direction...a cast down place...a place known as "Discouragement", a place where the burdens of our lives have proved themselves more than we can bear.

 Yet, my heart issues a proclamation: "You must not let this happen!"

I must issue the following orders: FIRST: to my own will...you must line yourself up with His Will...and do exactly what His Instructions have dictated from the Sacred Scriptures,
SECOND: to my own mind...You are given the following orders...to remember and keep yourself totally occupied with fresh reminders of what the Sacred Scriptures dictate, and THIRD: to my emotions...you must surrender at once, to the writings of the Sacred Scripture. You have no authority whatsoever to organize a "hostile takeover"...and your "screams in the night" and " cries of the day" must be answered through one means...the Sacred Scripture!

 For my memory goes to the land of the River Jordan...and climbs further...to the Summits of Mount Hermon. I remember all the smaller mountains that surround Mount Hermon...look over there....Mount Mizar.
 And now I remember...the River Jordan...at times roaring down from Mount Hermon...like the very depths of the Seas. And from this mighty rush of water...you can hear its loud and vicious roar, and see the waterfalls it has created...ever beautiful yet ever so dangerous!
 And from the sound of all this might...I hear Your Thunder... "Deep calling to the Deep".

 For I must tell You...all this noise sounds more like: "Chaos calling to Chaos". The waves of the Jordan are vicious, and have swept over me! The "Anger of the Jordan" crushes anyone in its path...wave after wave.

 Yet...my own heart declares this message: "He is ever kind...and will sustain me. Through the entire day and into the very Darkness of the Night...He is there...for me! He has deposited something new...in my heart...and it comes from Him...His seal is upon it! It is... a Song...a Song that is to be sung from my heart...and look!...there is another Song...and another! He says these "Songs of Praise" are to be sung...throughout the night.

 These "Songs of Praise"...are directed to You...to the God who gives me Life! These songs reminds me: You are...my God! You are...my Lord!
 My very life...is a prayer to Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment