Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Secret to Life....

Saint Paul was returning to the city of Philippi...this was his 3rd time to come and visit the community of Believers here. Paul was recovering from a dangerous illness, and was glad to be coming to Philippi. He "loved these guys" and is evident by the words he wrote in this letter.
 Paul uses Greek words here in reference to the Philippian Believers wanting to help Paul like a "plant whose flowers are about to bloom once more".
 Also to be noted is the fact there were a group of people during Paul's lifetime known as "Stoics". They were of the belief they could find contentment from any situation in life and be completely free from emotion. This type of mental state could be done through the routines of mental concentration and self-will to do so.  Paul clarifies in this passage of Scripture our contentment lies in having a relationship with Him...given to us...by Christ Jesus Himself...
 

                                  A Gleaning from Philippians 4: 10-14

 "It makes me extremely happy, and energizes my joy in Him, causing me to burst forth into a grateful heart...all because of you!...and your concern for my personal welfare.
 I am quite aware you have never stopped thinking of me...and have continually included me in your daily prayers. I know you have longed for the moment to present itself that you might express in gifts your very love for me...and the desire to assist me in any way you can.
And how grateful I am to have friends like you! Yet, as I look back and see how far I have come...in having a trusting relationship with Him...it is apparent to me I really don't have a "big personal need"...at least not at the moment.
 It seems as Christ Jesus and I have grown closer as friends, He has given me a gift...its called the "Art of Contentment", and this gift enables me to be undisturbed or undistracted from whatever set of circumstances I find myself in. The secret to this gift?...it's Him!

 You see, He is the secret as to why we can live this life in such a free state, not ruled by circumstances or emotions. He is truly the secret to life itself, and my joy or happiness is not dependent on whether I have little or whether I have much, whether my "hands are empty ...or my hands are full".
 I have discovered my strength in life comes totally from Christ Jesus, and He empowers me to be ready for anything...and equal to anything. He infuses me with inner strength to face any and all things.
 Yet, let me make this perfectly clear. How beautiful it is in my eyes and in His eyes as well...for you to contribute to my needs and share the difficulties around me. The integrity of your hearts speak well of the nobility of you character...and for that I am ever grateful."

No comments:

Post a Comment