Saturday, July 7, 2012

Try "The Doxology" to jump-start your Day

Doxology: the word is of Greek origin. "Doxa" meaning: glory, and "Logia" meaning: saying...so, if you put it together you have: "A Glory Saying".

 There are various doxologies written throughout church history for various and/or specific times within the framework of church services. 
 In my limited understanding, I have read where  doxologies are a mirror of a practice used in the Jewish Synagogue. There are a type of Jewish prayers referred to as Kaddish, which has various uses for distinct situations. The common thread in  Kaddish prayers is the focus...they are centered on God Himself and acknowledges He is he True One who establishes everything, blesses everything, and is the Decision Maker in all things we would seek Him for.

 The Doxology I am familiar with was written by Thomas Ken, 1637-1711. He was an Englishman who became an Anglican priest who wrote hymns for morning and evening worship at Winchester College. He actually became much noted for his authorship of various hymns within the church.

The stanza we sing at our church is actually a closing stanza from 3 hymns written by Ken...1) Awake My Soul, and with the Sun 2) All Praise to Thee My God, This Night and 3) My God, I Now from Sleep Awake.

 It goes like this:

"Praise God, from whom all blessings flow
  Praise Him, all creatures here below
  Praise Him above, ye heavenly host,
  Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."


I myself have found that using this is a nice way to start your day...kind of "sets a tone" to get me going...and keeps my mind and stuff like "things to do" lists from getting ahead of me. It also seems to bring a serene moment and allows the day to begin in a more orderly fashion...before the "chaos begins"...like kids needing breakfasts, a daughter needs the car, someone has an appointment that for some odd reason was never disclosed to you...etc. etc.

 And if you got a "little extra juice" flowing from singing the "Dox"....there are various other stanzas you can add to it....here are a couple I adhere to:

 "From all that dwells below the skies,
   Let the Creator's praise arise,
   Let the Redeemer's name be sung
   Thro' ev'ry land, ev'ry tongue."

" Eternal are thy Mercies Lord,
   Eternal truth attends Thy Word,
   Thy praise shall sound from shore to shore,
   Till suns shall rise and be no more."

You can add an "Amen" if you want...and get a little crazy with it...seems to "do the heart good".
 Anyway, that's my rendition of "kickin' in...in the mornin'"

No comments:

Post a Comment