Thursday, June 28, 2012

Our Battle Cry....Psalm 91

Psalm 91 is one we hear read often, particularly in times of trouble, or those nearing death or have just passed.
 Psalm 91 is an awesome Psalm!...but there is a requirement to reap the benefits of what this Psalm proclaims...we have to "put our money where our mouth is" as the saying goes...we need to put ALL our confidence and ALL our trust...in Him.

 And for all of us in certain times in life...that is easier said than done. But, if we take the chance, let go of our natural reasoning that has been our guide throughout life, and give our attention to an almost "glowing profession of trust in Him" when our rationale is screaming "No!", it is at that moment we just might find a way through....that's how I take Psalm 91.

 No one seems to be sure who wrote this Psalm. It is possible it was the "words Moses prayed", like in Psalm 90. Jesus knew this Psalm...and spoke of it when Satan was tempting Him in the wilderness (Matthew 4:11).
 Just in the first 2 verses alone God is referred to with 4 different titles:
1. Most High: meaning more important than anyone else.
2. Almighty: meaning more powerful than anyone else
3. Lord: meaning He will be around longer than anyone else.
4. God: meaning He makes the final decision...above anyone else.

                                       Gleaning of Psalm 91

" When you make this choice: to rely on and trust in the protection of the Most High, He sends His friend Rest...to greet you! Don't be concerned how dark it might be at the moment, you are covered...under the very Shadow of the Almighty...and there is no foe able to withstand His shadow.
 For it has been heard from heaven a declaration that originates out of your very own lips: "He is my Refuge. He is my Fortress....and now I realize...He is my God! I put all my confidence and my trust...in Him!"

 For He, the Lord Himself is able to keep me from those secret traps and deadly diseases. He does this by simply spreading His wings and covering me in His feathers. He has erected Pillars on each side of me: one He calls "Truth", the other "Faithfulness". He said they are there to be my shield and a strong rampart.
 The terrors of the night?...Fear will not get the best of me. If disaster decides to make its strike in the middle of my day...he won't get the best of me either.
 In fact, chances are there may be many around me screaming and looking for shelter, but they don't like the shelter I am under. As for me, I am stayin' put, under the "Shadow of His Wings".
 Even if I see thousands terror stricken or "goin' down for the final count"....Evil having its way with all those running back and forth...I'm not movin'.
 I am keeping myself steady...under His safety and His protection.
Here is the way I see it: if I make my choice...to trust the Lord throughout life, and be content in knowing He can be trusted...then Evil cannot gain the upperhand on me. All that junk Evil goes around threatening everyone with, like plagues and calamities...they have to keep their distance...because I am under His Divine Protection.

 In fact, I have learned from Him that He has arranged a special unit of His angels, to accompany and take charge over watching me...now get this...they have been assigned by the Lord to protect, preserve, and to defend... me!..wherever I go. And where am I going?...wherever He is going! You got that right!
 Not only that, but I have also learned that when it is needed, these assigned angels are to watch over me, and will carry me through certain areas. The reason they are to do so is to protect me from the jagged rocks, possible minefields, or even sharp thistles and cactus.
 If Evil tries a serious fear tactic, like sending a mad-hungry lion right on my path, or a vicious poisonous snake ready to strike, they too will be destroyed!

 All this comes about because...I made a choice...well not just a flippant choice...I put my all my heart into this one: "I'm going with Him! I believe in Him!...and Him alone!
 And because of this heartfelt decision, He has poured His love on me...and I am now experiencing the "best of the best of the best." I "threw in with Him", and it turns out to be the best decision I ever have made!

 Wait! I am not done. Here is the best part...He knows my name! He calls me personally...by my own name. In fact, He told me He not only knows my name, but He understands my name. And because He understands my name, He hand picks from His arsenal of Mercies, His vast amounts of Love, and His massive Vaults of Kindness, which ones will work best...for me! He explained to me He knows which of these I need, how many I need, and when I need them...to be implemented in my life,
                       I'm tellin' ya, the "guy" knows what He is doin'!
And get this...all I have to do is...call Him! Night or Day, good times or bad times,...anytime! He then said He hopes to hear from me soon...just to say "Hi" if nothing more!

The truth is: He will always be there to rescue when needed...and then "throw a party" over the ocassion. He then makes a toast!... saying: " With long life I will satisfy you, and you will be given a long drink...of My Salvation!"

No comments:

Post a Comment