Monday, June 18, 2012

At Ease...He comes in Peace...He comes as a Friend...

  The Book of Leviticus is the first major call  God initiates with His people that He wants their friendship... to be....like true friends! This is a hard concept to grasp, even today. God is our Friend....kind of mind boggling at times.
 After all...don't you earn a friendship? It takes time to develop trust, understanding of one another, and acceptance of who we are. People who just walk up to you and say: "Hey, I want to be your friend"...usually sends me "running" the opposite direction.
 On the flip side, there are those people you meet in life and really admire, and think: "Wow, I would love to have a chance to know them...they seem so real, genuine, and caring."

 Leviticus in my mind is a book where God is responding to the cry of Israel...they do want Him as a friend...but don't have a clue how having a friendship with God works.
 In Leviticus, God lays out some foundational truths on what true friendship really is about....and having a respect for another is primary. The Law was created in part to give the Israelites a way to respect God...and become His friend, and by doing so Israel will reap benefits from giving God His due respect....as a friend!

 The word Leviticus is actually broke down into 2 Hebrew words, the first being "and" and the 2nd being "He Called". So, when you say Leviticus, you are really saying: "And...He Called". If you give it a more personal flair, you could say: "And...He Called Me."
 Then next time you share a scripture verse out of Leviticus to someone, try saying this:"Yea, this morning I read a really cool Scripture out of "And...He Called Me", and it just seemed to really "hit home"!
 They will probably look at you like you are a "bit whacked", but hey, I have learned this...God Himself wants to be my friend...and I want to know how to be His....even it means uprooting all my preconceived concepts of what I think....get that part?...what I...what I...think it means for God to be a friend, then if it means I need to "drop" the preconceived stuff...then..."Let's do it!" 
 This can be the hard part....letting go of all the questions like: "Why does God make people suffer? or Why did God give me a family like this?...etc. etc." God will get to and address each and every question we have on life...but we got to do it His way....and that is for our benefit as well. The first thing about a friendship with God....respect Him, and don't believe all the "trash talk" you hear about Him....give Him a chance to clarify those misunderstandings you may have...about Him...and He will! But, not on our terms....He  has His own way of introducing Himself into your life....in fact, His very Own Son is involved in making the friendship work...between us and God...anyway, in Leviticus 26: 11-12, God makes this announcement....Here is a Gleaning from what I have read:

 " I Am coming...It is true! I Am coming into your very neighborhood. And no, you will not get a look of disgust from Me, and I will not reject you when we first shake hands.
 Instead, let's walk a little together, get to know one another, for I Am here...and here to stay! I Am honored to have you as my neighbor, and perhaps we will be friends.
 For I am glad you are no longer "just slaves to life", like the days in Egypt when the wooden bar was across your shoulder, doing heavy work for others...just like the ox. Now, look at you!...You walk straight, upright, and you seem to have a "lightness" in your step! And what I love most!....You are walking in...Freedom!
Friendship : Women drinking cocktails


No comments:

Post a Comment