Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Abraham.....He was God's friend......Part 1

The Abraham-Isaac story, particularly the "Story of the Sacrifice", is an amazing account of the unusual yet real friendship that was between God and Abraham.
 In James 2:23, it reads: " Abraham had faith in God, he simply believed the things God spoke to him about, and Abraham showed his trust in what God shared with him by following through the things God had told him to do. Abraham's actions spoke loud and clear on how he felt about God. In fact, that is really how Abraham and God came to become real friends."

Now....Genesis 22. What a puzzling and yet astounding story on trust: the trust one has for another: in this case, Abraham and his trust in his friend called: God.
 Also, how about Isaac? When he actually climbed on the altar to be tied...wouldn't Isaac at least be thinking: "Ok Dad, this isn't funny!" His submissiveness to his own father, Abraham, is of no less value to me than Abraham himself putting trust in his Friend.
 I mean, here you have an "old man", who is carrying a knife along with hot coals, wanting you to climb up on an altar that you had helped built....and now you are the sacrifice! In modern day, wouldn't the word "dementia" come to your mind, or "the old man has lost it"....yet, the Sacred Scriptures indicate Isaac gave no resistance whatsoever, and was laid upon the altar...tied!

In the early part of Genesis 22, in fact, in the very first verse it reads:"Some time later, God tested Abraham's faith. In fact, God called out for Abraham and Abraham replied: "Here I am."
 Ok, this "testing"...well, let's wait on that and get back to that later.
 The thing that seems to stand out in this first verse is:"God calls out...Abraham answers". It leaves you with the impression all is good with their relationship...Abraham didn't run and hide when God called out, Abraham didn't act like he didn't hear God, nor did he wonder if it was God calling him....instead, he simply replied: "Here I am...I have nothing to hide from you."
 So, to my understanding, the friendship was "cool"...everything was good!

Now, verse 2: "Take your son...the only son you have...the son you love so very much, and come with Me on a journey about 3 days away, to a place called Moriah. We are going there because I want you to sacrifice Isaac as a burnt offering on one of the mountains...I will show you the exact place."
 Ok, wait a minute! Abraham's friend, who happens to be God, first reminds Abraham how much Isaac means to him, and how much Abraham loves Isaac...now tells Abraham to go and offer Isaac as a sacrifice!
 Hello? Did I miss something here? Why in the world would a friend ask another friend to do something like that?
 And here is the thing: the Sacred Scriptures give no indication that Abraham even questioned the command...and it was in command form...to doing what God had just said to him.
 This is where I think I fail to understand this friendship....this does not make sense to me. Obviously, it made sense to both God and Abraham....so I have to look into this a little deeper.

 God had just spoke to Abraham and asked him to do something that was absolutely against everything Abraham stood for. I know many Bible scholars rationalize this as obedience....but come-on, there has to be more to it than that....isn't there?
 Abraham's response to God's command is just as astounding to me as the very test itself.

 I think I will stop here for now....verse 3 in Genesis 22: I am definitely missing something here...and I will have to give this a little more time, study, and thought!
 So, part 2 will come soon, "my people will get with your people...and we will dig into this story and find out...what is really going on!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment