Friday, May 4, 2012

"The Sacrifice"....Part 5

I am really getting into this, there is so much to think about concerning "The Abraham-Isaac Offering", and what really kind of "blows me away" is the "cut-n-dry" interpretations people have. As I read of commentaries on this, I don't doubt many of the accuracies of what people have gathered from this story...the problem I am having...there is "no depth of feeling "with so many of the explanations of what actually happened during this great historical event.
 These are 2 real people...just like you and me...having a real encounter...with a real God! That is what I am in search of.
 Before I go into verse 5 of Genesis 22, which is an awesome verse, I need to backtrack a little (for myself). I never claimed to be the "quickest horse out of the gate", I got to kind of go back over (sometimes repeatedly) to get something I am after... like a hunger. You know, have you ever really wanted something in particular to eat, like a steak for example, and you see Italian dishes, you smell sweet bread, or you look at other types of food....but what you want is...steak! Well, that is what is going on with me in reference to the "Abraham-Isaac Offering"...I am hungry for some answers coming out of my own heart.

First, in the first verse of chapter 22, God calls out for Abraham. Now, as I think about this...doesn't God know where Abraham is at? The answer for me is: yes! I think what is important ( and is for us today as well ): Does Abraham know where God is at?...Does Abraham know God's voice when He calls?
 In the Gospel of John, chapter 10: 24-28, Jesus runs into this situation and the highlight of this particular conversation was when Jesus Himself said: "My sheep know My voice....".
 The word "to know" is used in a variety of ways in the English language and doesn't always clarify a point that someone is trying to make at times.
 Now, there are other languages that "break down" a phrase like "to know" in order to make things a little more clear. For example, in the German language the phrase "to know" can be in two different words: "Wissen" meaning to know the facts, and "Kennen" meaning to know the person giving the facts.
 Here in John, Jesus addresses the importance of knowing "His Voice"....like Abraham did in the beginning of verse 1 of Genesis 22. The only way Abraham would have responded so quickly and clear...was through his "Kennen" with God.

 John 10: 24-28...a Gleaning.." During the Celebration of Hanukkah (the redemption of the Jewish people and re dedication of the Temple during the time of the Maccabees), Jesus was in Jerusalem and people had gathered around Him at the Temple.
 They had a question for Jesus, and asked Him directly: " Look, how long do you want us to keep guessing as to who You are...we are wavering, in both doubt...and suspense. If You are the Messiah...then why don't You just say so?"
 Jesus answered: "I already have! Here is your real question....."Why are you not the Messiah we want You to be?....You are not fitting into the pattern of the Messiah we want and are looking for!"
 Jesus expounds on this a little: " Yet, the Father has ordained all the work I am doing, and all My actions come directly from My Father. My actions and obedience to His Will speak louder than any of your questions of Me ever could.
 And here is the heart of the matter: you...are not My sheep! How do I know that? My sheep know My voice...and I know theirs.
 When My sheep hear My voice, they follow Me, and they receive the True Life they are really after. And, My sheep are never permanently lost...there is no power..no person...no force...or no convincing that can snatch them from Me!"

 So, getting back to Abraham, and this trusting friendship he now was experiencing...Abraham knew God...and therefore knew God's voice.
 Have you ever been holding a baby, who just won't stop crying and fussing...then the mother who might be 10 feet away, says one word...and the baby begins to calm down, usually their eyes open up  looking for their mother?...Abraham had grown in his friendship with God by Genesis 22...he did not have to find God...he just needed to recognize His Voice!

 Ok, I gotta think about this......

No comments:

Post a Comment