Friday, May 4, 2012

The Abraham-Isaac Offering...Part 6

I am wanting to get to verse 5 of Genesis 22, yet there is another "little matter" I would like to address...well suggest anyway.
 The question arose: " Why would God have to test Abraham? Doesn't God know the heart of Abraham?" (this is a question a dear friend sent me...don't you just "hate it" (lol), when you think you are ready to move on to the next thing...and "boom"...someone or something comes along that states....you better think about this!)

 Ok, testings...the "God-testings" in our lives...what is the point?...right? Well, I think there is a point(s) as to why God tests us...and I do not think these testings are meant for us to "have more faith".
 One of my pet peeves in life is how people bring up Peter, when he was walking on the water toward Jesus, and the experience concluded: "Ye of little faith".
 I think one of the most disastrous remarks man has ever given to another during a time a person is going through some really tough time in life...is the response: "Hang in there brother...read your Bible....take time to pray...you just need a little more faith".
 Normally, I would like to throw my Bible at the person saying that to me, and the only prayer I have at that moment is for the "wrath of God" to smack that person in the side of the head. I am not saying that is the right attitude to have....it just makes me feel better (lol).
 Getting back to Peter for a moment...come on...the guy jumped out of the boat and WAS ACTUALLY WALKING ON WATER...hello? I really don't think Jesus was "hammering on him" because he lost it by letting what he saw become greater than his faith, rather, I really think Jesus was encouraging Peter...like "Alright Peter, your faith "took a dive" (not intended as a pun..but I admit I do like it) for a moment, but look...with the little faith you have...look what you have been able to do...I'll help you get back up...you are not going to drown or go down into the Abyss."

 Ok, I'll get off that subject..back to testings....like, what's the point? Here is what I have learned about testings in our lives.
 First, yes...God does authorize testings! But, I don't think it is because He wants to produce more faith in us...because faith comes by....?...hearing....and hearing the Sacred Scriptures (I know...the Word of God... Romans 10:17)...not by how well we do in a particular experience in daily life.
 Ok, then why tests? I believe we go through tests to reveal  within ourselves our faith in Him! It helps us to see where we are at, and to make adjustments where needed. the big difference is this: this comes from a discovery within our own hearts...this comes from taking the Sacred Scriptures and applying them to our personal situations. And, as a result, we become stronger!
 So, with that being said, I think when we see a brother or a sister who is going through "the ringer"... I have found it best to keep my mouth shut and lift them up in prayer...in my own personal devotions. Now, if they ask you for advice, or ask you to pray with them...that is a bonus! I just remember, based on my experience in life, this is a sensitive time in people's lives, and how we conduct ourselves can either be an encouragement or a discouragement to anyone facing times like these.

Abraham...he was about to go through something that would reveal to him the trust...the love...and the friendship he had with the Father at that time in his own life.
 I personally think that is why Abraham "shut down"...he did not talk to anyone about the sacrifice of Isaac, he didn't seek counsel as to what he was to do, and most importantly, he didn't "fly off the handle" and speak ill of his friendship with God.
 Instead, I think he mulled over the promises God had already given him, and began to exercise his personal faith...a trust and a "love of the friendship" that kind of spurned him on.
 Abraham was about to learn...a lot about himself in this experience...and he was also to see the integrity of his own son...Isaac, and what he brought "to the table" during this ''3 Day Journey" that was one of those "life-changing" moments!

Hey, I almost forgot...when God was speaking to his friend Abraham...he mentioned how Abraham loved Isaac....this is the first time in the Sacred Scriptures the word love was used...interesting: "sacrifice the son you love...."

Genesis 22:5....so close....yet so far away

No comments:

Post a Comment