Saturday, May 26, 2012

Confidence!...What is that?

      CONFIDENCE

Confidence...we hear about it lot in this day and age. Being confident on your job, being confident among others, being confident...in the Lord.
 The American Dictionary defines confidence as : "a feeling or belief a person can put reliance on, a trust that is firm". Now, the question for me is: 1) are we "talking" self-confidence, 2)a confidence in Christ, and 3) how does one obtain confidence?

 First, there are numerous Scriptures on "how to have confidence in Christ by simply obeying the Scriptures, for obedience to what Christ has spoke enables us to develop a confidence that relies on Christ Jesus and His Commands. Yet, I think the first thing to realize is confidence is a process, as you work on building trust through His Word, your confidence naturally grows with it...but it is a process...and it requires time.
 And self-confidence?...Is that a good thing or bad thing? Again, the way I see it is as your relationship with Christ Jesus grows and becomes closer, just like any other relationship, you do become at ease with what the Lord has given us to follow in His Word, and you develop self-confident simply because you have already experienced His Faithful Word, and discovered it really works...and is quite capable to create good things come your way. And even when nothing seems to be going your way at the moment, you have this trust (in Him) that it will...because that is exactly what the Sacred Scriptures have already done for you.
 I think the greatest enemy we battle against when it comes to confidence is...arrogance. Actually, arrogance has its root in having little or no trust in something, the opposite of confidence, and is a weak foe at its best. True Godly confidence builds up self-esteem, arrogance exposes your lack of self-esteem.
Self-esteem is another subject altogether, although it ties in with confidence. So, allow me to check out some Scripture on this subject: confidence.

 First, there is a Scripture out of Psalm that has been a strength for me when I am reminding myself to put my confidence in Him. It is from Psalm 139: 13-14...and it is in a Gleaning form:
" Here is how You did it! First, You made all the delicate parts in me, those inner parts, then, You wove me together...both inside and out...and all this being done while I was in my mother's womb.
That alone causes me to take this moment to simply marvel at the beauty of it all, it can take my breath away at times pondering all this.
 My entire body, along with my mind, my will, my emotions, and my spirit...all of this came from You...before I even breathed my first breath of air.
 Just the thought that You are the Author of my life brings comfort to me...because You know me...both inside and out! This means You are quite aware where my strengths are and You know my utter weaknesses! You are just too much for me, my King!"

Then, in Hebrews 10:35-36 it goes something like this:
" Don't throw away your confidence, which has been developed in you from the experiences we face in daily life. Also, confidence brings with it great benefits....the equation goes like this: Confidence in Me = Benefits to You!
 And remember this: confidence does not stand alone! Mix your confidence with patience, and let them together have their way in your life. When you choose this, you will have no 2nd thoughts on what My Will is for you...you are already doing My Will!
 Patience has benefits for you also...just like confidence...and these benefits will be there...for you!"

One more thought: "Confidence" has Latin origins...meaning "to confide". Who better can we confide in.... He made us in the first place".

No comments:

Post a Comment