Saturday, May 5, 2012

Abraham-Isaac Sacrifice...Part 8

There is much to think about and consider before making any judgment or drawing any conclusion about Abraham and Isaac...at the sacrifice in the land of Moriah.
 One thing I am really starting to realize about Abraham and the Lord...their friendship was deep, and at times intense.
 In my own life, I have not had too many friends that are of the depth Abraham and the Lord had during this time in Genesis...in fact I could easily count them on one hand.
 I am not '"talking" just a friend, I am referring to a friend that knows everything about me..the good...the bad...and the ugly (don't you just hate cliches). These two were "tight"...and liked each other a whole lot, in fact...I think their love for one another ran "deep"...real deep!
 Knowing this (now), this really puts a whole different outlook as Abraham prepared to offer Isaac to the Lord as a sacrifice...he was already convinced before the 3 day journey began...this was going to be a great thing!...both for himself and for Isaac. In fact, I think Abraham was  excited for Isaac as he prepared the sacrifice...more than he was for himself!
 Abraham had drawn close to the Lord. His love for the Lord was as strong as his love for Isaac, and he knew this: if he (Abraham) loved Isaac so much...how much more does the Lord love Isaac?
 There is so much focus on Isaac and the sacrifice itself, Abraham "lifting the knife" etc., and many commentaries and summaries  see this as a "total time of stress" and an almost "nightmare experience for both Isaac and Abraham"...I don't know. I am not "feelin' it"...in fact , I think this is more like getting ready for the 7th game of a World Series, or the 4th quarter of  the Super Bowl...and the game is tied! I am starting to think both "these guys were pumped"...and I think someone else is pumped too...that being the Lord Himself!
 Look at Isaac. He has been commended by many for his willingness...his obedience to lay upon the altar and let Abraham pile the wood on his chest and be the offering  prepared by his own father.
 Ok, Isaac is to be commended for his willingness to follow his father's instructions to what appears the very end. Yet, who in their right mind would just offer themself up without wondering...what's goin' on here? The only thing Isaac had said in Genesis 22 was: "Where is the sheep for the burnt offering?"... I'll get back to that later....
  Genesis 15:1-6... might give an idea how close Abraham and the Lord really were in regards to their friendship:

 "Some time later, the Lord came to Abram...through a vision, and spoke to Abraham saying: "Don't be afraid Abram, don't let your mind tell you that you will not have an heir. Have I not defeated all those who have challenged or come against you?, and I will continue to do so...I am your shield and will protect you.
 Your reward in all this is great, and as you trust  Me through this, and our friendship grows,... the rewards I have for you grow as well!

 Then Abram responded to what the Lord has spoke: "Lord, truly You are sovereign, and I know in my own heart You are all-powerful, and You have given me everything I could ever ask for...or even dream of. But, if I live my entire life enjoying You and all You have provided... and have no one to pass all of these things to, or to share with someone what a joy it is to have a friend like You,  what is the purpose in all this? Do I give all this to Eliezar of Damascus, a servant within my household?...simply because his name means: "son of the possessions"?
 Abram continues: " Look, it's no secret...to You or me...You have given me no children, and all I have to look forward to as far as passing all this on...is to a servant in my household."

 Then the Lord replied to Abram: "No, that is not the way it it going to happen. Now listen to Me: you will have a son! Trust me...it is really going to happen! He will be the heir...your heir...of all I have given you and all we have!"
 After that, the Lord took Abram outside, and said to him: " Look up in the sky. See all the stars? Count them...count them all!...if you can. That will give you an idea how many descendants you will have...your descendants!...you are going to have a big family Abram!"

(Note: here in verse 6 lies what I consider a real key to Abraham and how he viewed the sacrifice of Isaac).

" And Abram TOOK REST in what the Lord had told him. He totally trusted and relied on what the Lord SPOKE TO HIM, and kept this deep within his heart...he would not budge from all that God had shared with him.
 AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY GOD DECLARED ABRAM RIGHTEOUS...BECAUSE OF HIS COMPLETE TRUST IN WHAT THE LORD HAD TOLD HIM."
 Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment