Thursday, February 28, 2013

"Why Observe Lent?...Did something Really Happen?"

Peter says this in his letter: A Gleaning from 2 Peter 1: 16-18:

 " Trust me, we were not following some cleverly designed story or having some "wishing upon a star" type outlook on life...when this whole thing erupted....we were simple...fishermen!
 We are just laying out the facts...about the Powerful Return of the Lord Jesus!

 We were there! I saw a preview! I saw this: From above came this resplendent Light from God the Father...and He ( God the Father) was giving all the honor and glory ...to Him, our Lord Jesus!

 Then, we heard for ourselves the Majestic Voice of God the Father speak these very words: "This is My Son...the Pride of My Life...who brings Me...Great Joy!" I'm telling you...it really happened...on that very mountain!"

 Some bible scholars think this event happened on Mount Hermon...near Caesarea Philippi...the place where Peter had once boldly announced: "You are the Christ...the very Son of the Living God!"
 Others think perhaps it happened on Mt. Tabor, in southern Galilee. In any event, here in the Gospel of Luke, it is not told where it did exactly happened.
One thing for sure, this is the 2nd time God the Father had spoke like this. Earlier in His life, when Jesus was being water baptized by John the Baptizer...a similar occurrence happened. In Luke 3:22 it goes something like this: " The sky opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him, in the bodily form of a dove...and then a Voice from Heaven (God the Father) was clearly heard: "You are My Son!...My Beloved!...and You bring Me...Great Joy!"

 I think as I contemplate the "Pitcher of Water" in the observance of Lent, my public acknowledgement of Jesus Christ being my Savior and my Lord...I am not required to "defend Him or the Gospel", all I am required to do is say: "Look, this is what happened to me when I confessed my sin to Him, and invited the Lord Jesus into my life, He changed my heart...He changed my entire life. After all, I am just a "simple factory guy!"

 Here in Luke 9:28-36 is a description of "The Transfiguration". Moses was present...the one God gave the Law to, as well as Elijah...the great prophet of old....along with Jesus...the One who explained the Law to each of us....and fulfilled the prophecies of all the prophets of old!

                       A Gleaning from Luke 9: 28-36

 " It was approximately 8 days after Jesus had given some major teachings on how to live life. He then "grabbed" Peter, James and John...and took them with Him to a mountain...to pray.

 Now while Jesus was praying ( Note: the upcoming verses will tell what Peter, James, and John were doing...and if I were there...I would have been doing what these guys were doing lol), His face changed!...and His countenance was literally altered! Along with this, His clothes became a dazzling white...I mean bright!...like the brightness of a flash of lightning!
 And...at the very same moment...Jesus was suddenly speaking with 2 other men! We recognized them (Note: interesting since they had never seen these 2 people before)...they were Moses!...and Elijah! They too appeared in a "glorious splendor".
 The disciples could hear them discussing about the exodus of Christ Jesus...from the present life...and it was about to happen...right here!...in Jerusalem!

 Now, Peter, James, and John had fallen asleep...but not now! They were suddenly wide awake when all this started to take place!
 Then, Moses and Elijah, after concluding their conversation with Jesus, were about to leave...when all of a sudden Peter raises his voice and spoke to Jesus saying:" Master...this is great! I am so glad You brought us along...and listen, do You think we should make 3 shelters here to commemorate the awesomeness of this event...one for You and one each for Moses and Elijah?" It now was obvious Peter really had no idea what he was saying or who He was speaking with. In fact, before Peter had even finished speaking...Peter, James, and John suddenly found themselves "buried" in this Cloud...and fear simply seized them!

 Then...came this Voice...right from within the Cloud...saying: "This is My Son...He is My Chosen! Listen to what He has to say!"

 After this Voice had spoken...suddenly Peter, James, and John found themselves looking at...only Jesus! Moses, Elijah, nor the Cloud...were there!
 For quite some time...it was quiet...no one spoke even one word! In the coming days, the disciples told no one...what they had just seen and experienced."

Lent...reminding us to proclaim Him...and allow the Holy Spirit to "quiet the noise around us".
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment