Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Spirit of Lent Says: "Here, Come This Way!"

As I consider this Lenten Week on my personal witness of the Lord Jesus Christ in my everyday affairs, I am studying the 27th Psalm. In verses 6 through 14....David says some pretty cool stuff....

                                   A Gleaning from Psalm 27: 6-14

 Note: In the first 5 verses David has been writing on the importance of finding his safety in the Lord...and concludes in verse 6 saying;

 "For the Lord invites me to a place...my enemies cannot reach (on a high rock)! Here is where my victory lies...and my head is held high for all I have fought for and believe in...and all the honor and glory belongs to Him!"

Note: Now, in verse 7 is where some Bible scholars think this particular chapter was written in 2 parts...for now the mood of David makes a dramatic change.

 " O my King...hear me now as I pray. I am calling to You in a loud lament...be merciful to me...answer my prayer...given to You!
 My heart is reminding me what You have said to me in times past: " Come, come and talk with me!" And I have always responded: "My Lord...I come!"
 My King, if I have done something to anger You...this is not the time...to reject me! I need You...now! Don't desert me in my time of need...my King!
 For ever since I met You...and our friendship has grown into a close bond, I have come to learn one thing from You: "Even if my own mother and father would abandon me...You my King will always hold me close."

 Allow me to follow along Your path, continue to teach me Your ways..."The Ways of the King". May the path You choose for me be level and clear...because it is obvious my enemies lie in wait...to kill and destroy me!
 Do not let me fall to the "Will of my Enemies"...let not their hands even touch me! These enemies are accusing me of things I have never done...and it seems each breath they take is spent to speak cruelty and threaten...me!"

Note: In verse 13, there is an odd thing that comes out of the Hebrew text. Verse 13 does not really have a beginning...kind of like an incomplete sentence in our English language. Some have just filled in the first part of verse 13 by common deduction....but here is what other biblical scholars think the meaning to the start of verse 13. Here, the writer David has left that open so you...the reader...will fill the first part in yourself! Is that cool or what! Imagine, David is asking you as a reader to assist him in the writng of this particular Psalm!
 It could be filled in with phrases like:
    " I could have died..."
    " My son would not have made it..."
    " I would have lost my home...."
Get the idea? so I will just leave the first part of verse 13 blank...because David did...and allow you the reader to put in whatever you think is right for you.

".........................................", had I not kept my heart on this promise from You...that I would see how good You really are to me...Your loving kindness has kept me...in the land of the living...the place where hopes and dreams...still come true!
 As for me, I will continue to put my trust in You...and I will wait...for My King...with an expectant hope. I will draw my strength from the words You have spoke...and from Your words I become brave and courageous. Yes, this is definitely the way I am suppose to go...the path He has already mapped out for me...to hope for and expect...my King!"

 As I continue on my journey through Lent this week, my public witness is shown to others...by my trust...in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment