Monday, February 25, 2013

"Remembering Him in the Good Times...When I Am Going Through the Bad Times"

This week I have a "Pitcher of Water" nearby to remind me of my public confession of the Lord Jesus Christ....

 Being a public witness is often pictured as one going out to "preach the Gospel and see large masses of people give their hearts to the Lord Jesus Christ". Certainly, there is nothing wrong with that...but I have never done that...and unless there is a great change in my lifestyle...I don't see me doing that in the very near future.

 Yet...here is what I can do.....being a witness of Him in my everyday life.

 I think the most effective time I spend being a witness of Him to others is not when I am "all smiles, listening to others, being a source of comfort, and sharing His love to others". Again, those times are important as well, and certainly have the potential to bring positive results, yet here is what I have noticed.
 My most effective witness comes when I am in daily encounters within the frame of my lifestyle...like being at work and things are not going well...maybe a specific task I am doing is frustrating me...and I am about to make two choices: 1) to "blow and cuss"...giving this particular task I am on a...."piece of my mind", or 2) keep my emotions under control, keep my mouth shut, and turn my thoughts to Him...and let Him walk me through this. I know...easier said than done, right? Yet, if I can get going in that direction...it really has been a witness to others and the calmness alone makes others feel comfortable...for often times they are just as frustrated as I am.
 Another thing I have noticed in being a "public witness of Him" that has brought results: simply smiling and keeping a more trusting outlook on life regardless of the circumstance I may be facing. I think the reason I have found this to be effective for me is because it keeps me from "bitching about life".
 I have also noticed how people really don't want to hear about all the daily "personal objections we have in life", instead, when I have more of an "appreciative outlook" on the life God has given me...it really does have a profound effect on others.
 The other day I was displaying a good attitude (I'm workin' on it...one of these rare moments lol), and this guy working in my area began to tell me how he just couldn't take life anymore...his father had just passed, they were having their estate issues, and his wife just went in for surgery...and I honestly think he "opened up" because I was upbeat...having the "Song of the Grateful Heart"...crankin' within me. As a result, I was able to share with him the only thing I knew what to do in times like that...turn your heart and life over to Him. I didn't go "nuts" and grab a bible, or started hammerin' down on his need to know Christ....I just took the time to absorb some of the hurt he was feelin', and responded...like I was the one going through what he was facing.

 So, during this week of the Lenten Season, I am focusing on my "public witness"...and every time I look at this pitcher of water that reminds me when I was water baptized as a public display of my allegiance to Him...it helps me to carry on...to finish the race that has begun....

 Psalm 27 is one of those Sacred Scripture readings for this season of the year, and it has some pretty cool stuff!
 It really isn't clear when David wrote this Psalm, and some think it might have been written in 2 separate parts, but the thing about this particular Psalm is shows David going through the good times...and the bad...and the attitude he maintains through his various daily circumstances.

                                A Gleaning from Psalm 127: 1-5

 " It is the Lord Himself who is my Light...my Hiding Place...my Place of Safety...and knowing this, He then gives me the ability to maneuver in open spaces. Because of this, I can be fearless, not afraid of anyone...or anything!
 When those who are against me come "riding down in their vandal hordes", ready to have me for "breakfast"...they don't realize when they come against me...they come against my King! These enemies may look fierce...but my trust is in Him...and they will fall!

 There may even be enemies all around me, poised and ready for the siege...but my confidence remains strong...in Him! And, if "all hell breaks loose"...I'm good...for my trust remains in Him.
 I have sent one request... a message sent directly to the Lord Himself...in the midst of the present battle. My request is this: "That although the battles I face may get heavy at times...yet in my everyday life I would find myself...my thoughts given to being in His Home...His Kingdom secure in my heart...all my thoughts and meditation focused on Him!"

 It is important to me to realize this: In my times of trouble, there is only one quiet and secure place for me to be...that helps me to escape from all the noise and chatter of this world...and that being to be in "His Place of Secret Shelter". This is where I find my true hiding place...and I am safe...high upon "The Rock" of my faith."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment