Wednesday, December 12, 2012

When you judge a close friend...with sincerity...yet...sincerely wrong...

Have you ever had someone that is a good friend, someone you have confidence in, someone you have found freedom to discuss almost any subject with....without holding back on opinions about anything in life...and suddenly something weird begins to happen...and they abruptly yet basically terminate the friendship?
 I have had this happen to me a couple of times...and it is always a time when a friend of mine is going through some personal hard times, and they really don't want to discuss it. I don't "push the issue" in any way, but I know something "ain't right"....and then it starts to happen.
 They begin to criticize things we might be discussing, taking things I said and twisting my words so it appears I am attacking them. Then it happens that what I supposedly said really hurt them...and they just "shut down".
 
 I am the kind of person that just wants to fix problems, get it out in the open, put any misunderstandings and the need to forgive out there...and move on. But...that is not the way real life for me happens...instead, my close friend kind of "steps back"...says "Hi" or whatever...but chooses not to relate what triggered the whole thing...and I may never really know....all I do know is the friendship...is on the "shelf"...and we both move on in life. 

 In the Book of Job, in the 22nd chapter, I think Job faces a similar...not exact...but a similar issue when it comes to having friendships. Here, his good friend Eliphaz, is trying to I think really help Job, who has suffered much with losses of family, home, money etc. So, Eliphaz makes the assumption the reason all this is happening to Job is...because Job has given his heart over to evil, and his "lusts for money" has gotten the best of him. So Eliphaz gives Job some sincere advice...yet Eliphaz is sincerely...wrong! Job is innocent...his heart is in the right place!

 Sometimes I have found in life that even the closest of friends can turn away from you...it's not that I am perfect or anything...I know I am far from that...yet the personal situations they might be facing...is vented out...on you!
 Although Eliphaz was sincere, he didn't take the time to think..."Hey...My bud Job is going through some tough stuff...what can I do to help?...I need to really listen to what is going on...and see what can do to be there...when he really needs me."
 I want to be like that...yet what can you do when your accused of things you never intentionally mean to do or say...and you are not even sure what you may have said that caused your friend to judge and "shut down"?

 A Gleaning from Job 22:21-25

 " Look Job, just "give it up"...and you will be find peace you are so desperately looking for. If you can do this...everything will be fine!
 Job, listen to what the Law dictates...take its word to your own heart.
 You've got to get your own heart and life restored in Him...so He can clean-up and rebuild the mess you have got yourself in.
 You've just have to let go this passionate lust you have for money...throw all that "precious gold talk" into the river!
 Make God your desire instead...let Him be that "gold" in your life. He is your True Treasure!
Then, He will bring you more wealth than you could even ever imagine!"

 Yet...Eliphaz was wrong...Job was not wrapped up in the lust for money or possessions. Eliphaz had misjudged what Job had been saying...perhaps Eliphaz was hurt, in fear, or a little angry with Job... because of areas of his own life...who really knows?

 One thing Job did after it all was "said and done", he kept his heart right with the Lord...and he prayed for his friends. That in my own mind...is a true friend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment