Saturday, December 29, 2012

"Freedom...comes with Preparation"

One thing that occurs to me...in order to follow after Freedom...His Freedom... I must have some "groundwork", a foundation in my own life so I am in a position to search for "His Freedom" and  allow this freedom to find its purpose in my life.
 There are a couple of important Scriptures I have found for my own life...if I am serious to follow after... His Freedom...the freedom He has given to me and to all that would respond to His call: "Follow Me!"

 One is in Matthew 11:25-30, where things have been happening! There are some "situations" that have developed...because His Call to Freedom is gaining strength:

1. The "Good News" is getting out: people around the area are talking about Jesus healing the sick, causing the blind to have sight, forgiving people who are bound in sin...like adulterers, and He has friendships with people you would not think of as a "church-goin' Christian"...like...tax collectors!

2. John the Baptizer was now in prison...and sends his own disciples to Jesus...John just wants to hear it one more time....before He goes. Jesus sends the message back to John: "John...there is not one thing you have done that was in vain...the lame walk, the blind see, and the Good News is being given...to the poor!...".

3. Jesus in this chapter in Matthew is in the city of Capernaum. The people in Capernaum had found success in life and were very proud of their accomplishments. There was a phrase said in Capernaum: "The city that reaches up to Heaven itself."
 When Jesus arrived, He didn't "buy in to their song and dance" on how good they were or how successful their city had become. In fact, many in Capernaum had no interest in Jesus or why He was even there.
 So, Jesus, upon hearing about how the Jewish community had been "holding up their end" by obeying the Law...the hundreds and hundreds of them that they were now "enslaved" to follow, replies to them: " You would be better off to have lived in Tyre and Sidon ( 2 cities who were destroyed at least twice...and they had been part of the promise when the Israelites entered the "Promised Land"), for they never had...who you have before you now! (Note: Tyre and Sidon had become what Capernaum was in Jesus day: a wealthy area that had become proud and cruel).

4. In these verses Jesus spoke about "yokes"...and the yoke He has for us ...one that is light. Jesus had been a carpenter...and probably had some familiarity with the "art of yoke making". The key to designing a yoke was...it had to fit properly...on the oxen who are fitted into a yoke. If the yoke did not fit right on the oxen, their necks could get extremely sore, and their skin become very irritated.
 Here Jesus is saying...following the Lord was never meant to be a heavy load, nor were you ever meant to have a yoke that did not fit (like trying to follow hundreds of religious laws  to try to get God "on your side"). Instead, Christ Jesus says: " My yoke is easy...and the Way to Freedom is found here. It's a simple and light yoke, made available by the One  who really cares...about each one of us!

                                         A Gleaning from Matthew 11: 25-30

 " Jesus then took a moment while speaking to some of the people gathered around Him in the city of Capernaum, and spoke directly to His Father and said: " Father, I just wanted to give You honor and praise right now, for You are the True Lord...of both heaven...and Lord of the earth. (Note: do you think He knew Satan was probably listening to each word he spoke).
 I acknowledge Your hand upon Me, and I am joyful right now...because You have hidden all that I am...and all that I am doing...from those who consider themselves "wise, clever, educated, blending those thoughts with a know-it-all attitude". Instead, You are showing who I am...and all that I am doing...to hearts that are child-like, to "ordinary" folk, to those who have been labeled "unskilled, uneducated, and utterly common".
 Yes Father...that is just the way You work!...filled with Your grace...and all Your good pleasures!

 Then Jesus redirected His thoughts to the people around Him, and now His own heart had begun to soften, and He spoke to them in a more tender tone saying: " My Father has entrusted everything in life...including everything that concerns you...to Me!
 We have a close and intimate Father/Son relationship. We are close...and there is no one that knows Me better...than My Father, nor is there anyone that knows My Father...better than Me!
 And here is something else you need to know...this relationship I have with My Father...is not exclusive! He's too Big!!...to keep it between us...only. I wish to bring you into the type of relationship I have...with the Father. This is the true way...to freedom! I will be there...to assist you anyway I can...the Father...longs to know you!

 Then, Jesus looked into the eyes of those who were listening and said: "Are you tired? Has all this religion...all these laws to follow...all this boring lifestyle...burned you out...completely?
 Do this! Follow Me...I know the way to your freedom!...your life will come "alive" again! My way to freedom will ease all those heavy burdens you carry and you will begin to experience something new in your life...His Rest! You will be refreshed...and the relief alone...will reach down to your very souls!

 Come with Me...take " My Yoke of Freedom", and you will find your lives dancing...in the "Rhythms of His Grace". I am gentle, humble of heart, and you will find joy in your search for freedom. The yoke I give you...you will need it for the journey...and it will fit perfectly...and bring much relief from the stress in life that you will sometimes have to face.
 Come..enter the "Way of Freedom"...for I am Freedom...your freedom...and the yoke we share is wholesome, good, comfortable, gracious, pleasant, and...sets you free!"

No comments:

Post a Comment