Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Summary and Thoughts on the Early Chapters of the Book of the Prophet Isaiah

As I have studied through the first 8 chapters of the book of Isaiah, sometimes I have to "step back" a moment and get a grip on what I feel is being said. In these early chapters, Isaiah really brings out in my mind the importance of developing a relationship with Christ Jesus that is real, and not to get in a routine with Him where I just go through the motions of daily life and lose the excitement of knowing Him, but rather allow my life the experience what it means to be called  : Christian.

 It seems Isaiah preached to what appeared was a very "religious" people of his day. After all, the people in Judah fasted, they said prayers, celebrated holy days, and even brought sacrifices to Jerusalem.
 Yet, with all these "outer works" on display...God rejected them. He rejected the customs, the duties, and ceremony as ways of following and knowing Him. Why? Why would He do that? There are 3 things that "pop" in my mind as to why God did reject it and what He really wanted from them...and from each one of us today!

 1. The things they did... were not being done from their hearts. Sometimes life can just be a "rut"...like you are stuck in the mud and are going absolutely nowhere. My relationship even with the Lord can get like that if I don't give my full attention to Him.
 In order to get out of ruts I have found I need to shake things up a bit...like do one of those "random acts of kindness" things...something totally different than I would normally do... the key to it...I do it for others!
 I think that is kind of what happen in Isaiah's day...these "guys" forgot about why they gave their lives to God in the first place...and they let their relationship with God run itself into the ground...they lost the joy of knowing Him.
 I can tell when I need to shake things up a bit...I start getting callous toward prayer, or reading His Word, burnt out from going to church,etc. It happens...to everybody!
 That's when you got to have a "get real" prayer time, speak to God about how you have become bored with following Him...and He will always show you where you went off track. He also has great ideas on how to "shake your life up" and get out of the rut.
 What you don't want to end up doing is what I think happen to the people of Judah during Isaiah's time. They chose to get into the "selective obedience" mode, thinking Ok, I will put some time in for God...and the rest I will do for myself. If saying a prayer, backing off some food, or offering a sacrifice makes God happy..then Ok. Everything else...belongs to me!

 2. Giving to God "lip service" but not wanting to let Him in and change your heart.
Sometimes it seems much easier to say "Hey...look God!...did You not see me in church service last Sunday....including Sunday School!? I even went over and shook hands with that "creep" I can not stand.
 So, here is the deal...I gave You Sunday at church...now on Wed. nite my friends and I are going to have a seance...real innocent stuff...just for fun! So, we're even, right?

 Again, I think the people in Isaiah's day viewed God as a matter of "trades"....I do this for You, You turn Your head a little and give me a little room to do my thing.
 When we start to lose our love for Him...when we lose our friendship and the sheer joy of being close...when all a relationship boils down to is "Yes dear, OK dear, whatever you want dear"...the heart had already left "the building" long before.
 For myself...I would be doing some research and get ideas on "First Love". Talk it over with someone you trust and has good relationship with Christ...the answer is out there...just be ready to accept it and be willing to change what is necessary to be with Him!

 3. I give...give...give! This kind of goes along with the second one...and you know what I do not like at all....is when people are constantly told if they will simply drop some cash down on...even to a ministry...God will pay you back and bless you more than you could ever ask or think!
 Now don't get me wrong, there is an element of truth in all that...but there are some variables missing in the concept by itself....like a person's character, or their integrity, or loving one another. I think that is what was going on in general in Isaiah's day....nice people...no heart!

 In Eugene Peterson's writing of the Scriptures called "The Message", he writes as interesting way of interpreting 1 Corinthians 3:20. It reads: "He exposes the chicanery of the chic. The Master sees through all the smoke screens of the know-it-alls...those who have an answer for everything."

 The "chicanery of the chic"...a great way of saying it. For those who might not understand the meaning of this phrase, chicanery simply means to deceive someone, to go through life by the use of tricks. Chic is defined as someone who looks good but has a tattered look about them, almost ratty in appearance.
 So, you could read this verse of scripture like..."God exposes all the deceitful tricks of one who looks good on the outside, but is really tattered and ratty on the inside."

I think that is how I see what was going on in Isaiah's day...much like today.



No comments:

Post a Comment