Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sometimes we have to make hard decisions...Gleanings from Esther 4:10-17

Have you ever come into a situation in life, where you have to make a tough decision? You know in your heart what the right choice is, you just don't want to do it because of the possible outcomes of doing so....well, at least your mind tells you what will happen.
 Yet, what your mind tells you and what may actually happen can be two different things altogether. You know if you don't do what is right, you are going to have a hard time living with yourself for not doing it, and still you are afraid of the unknown as a result of doing what is right.

Esther faced this: she knew what Mordecai had told her was true...and she prepared herself to do what was right...even if it would cost her... her very own life. That is true courage...at least that is how I see it...ready to give it up if need be...in order to bring the truth and take that chance...to help the lives of others...as the Scriptures read in the New Testament: "Greater love has no one than when he/she lays down their lives for their friends"... Esther is cool!...real cool!
                                       Gleanings from Esther 4:10-17

 " Esther then speaks with Hathach the eunuch and says to him," Go tell Mordecai this: Everyone knows..I mean everyone...both here in the king's palace as well as everyone throughout the Empire, if anyone and I mean anyone dares walk into the inner room of the king's presence, and you do not see his golden scepter raised as a sign you have been called by the king..you are dead! That is the law of the land and no one is excluded from this law...including me! You cannot go into the king's presence unless he has asked for you...or you will be given punishment...and that punishment is...death! My dear Mordecai, I am the queen, and have not been called by the king for 30 days! How do you expect me to speak with him concerning this "Law of Death" to all the Jews when I would die for even trying to get close enough to speak with him?"
 So, Hathach went and found Mordecai once again and delivered the message sent by Esther.

 When Mordecai heard this message from Esther through Hathach, Mordecai returned a message to Esther. He said to Hathach to give to Esther: " Look, Esther, because you are the queen and are "livin' the dream", don't for a second think you will be exempt when this Law concerning all the Jews will in fact go into effect. You will not!...You will be killed right along with the rest of us...we are all in this together!
 Esther, listen to me! This is your time! You have got to find a way to speak up for all of us...directly with the king! Don't you think or perhaps realize that is why God has opened this door for you and made you the Queen of the Persian Empire?"

 Then, after Hathach relayed this message to Esther, she sent another message to Mordecai: " Ok, I do understand what you are saying...and I am starting to see "the picture a whole lot clearer" now. Here is what I would ask of you. Gather all of our Jewish brothers and sisters here in Susa, and have them fast for me. Ask them not to drink or eat anything for 3 days. My maids and I will do the same here.
 Then, even though the Law forbids it, I will go in to the inner room and walk into the king's presence. If I die because I do this...then die it must be."

 So, after Mordecai had received this message, he left the Royal City Gates and followed through what Esther had asked of him."

No comments:

Post a Comment