Saturday, January 31, 2015

Song of the Century...."Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...Judy Garland

On October 7th, 1938 a young girl made a recording...later to become the #1 Song of the 20th Century. The name of the song?..."Over the Rainbow" or in some circles "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". The girl who sang this song was Judy Garland, and this Academy Award winning ballad became her signature song...throughout her entire life. This song was introduced in the film "The Wizard of Oz" with Judy Garland starring in the role as "Dorothy Gale".
 In the early scenes of the 1939 classic, "Dorothy" is told by "Aunty Em" to "find herself a place where she won't get into any trouble". It is at this time "Dorothy" then asks her dog "Toto": "Do you suppose there is such a place Toto?"
 At first, this song was deleted from the film because the execs felt it was "slowing down the movie too much". Yet, the song did remain in the movie itself and as early as WWII "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was embraced by the American troops as a symbol of hope...that being to live in the land of the free...the United States of America.
 Judy Garland never altered the song since her debut in 1938 and sang the song numerous times for over 30 years...until her death in 1969 at the young age of 47. 
 Garland in later years wrote: " Over the Rainbow has become a part of my life. It's so symbolic of every body's dreams and wishes...that I am sure that's why some people get tears in their eyes when they hear it. I've sung it thousands of times and it's still the song...closest to my heart."

"Toto" will always be remembered as Dorothy's dog she loved so much. Toto's real name was actually "Terry" and was paid $125 per week for her role in the Wizard of Oz ( more than numerous "human" actors received at this time). Toto appeared in 13 films and passed away at age 11... Toto was a terrier.
 As for "Dorothy"...Judy Garland struggled immensely in her personal life even though her much success in public life. Being told in her childhood years by film execs she was not attractive...she was often manipulated and battered with self-esteem issues in various roles she performed.  Garland ended up going through 5 marriages, faced drug and alcohol problems, and her private life was often exposed to the public eye. Liza Minnelli, the famous actress who won an academy award for her role in the musical film "Cabaret", is the daughter of Judy Garland.

 Judy Garland was a member of the Episcopalian church and through the heartfelt problems she faced in her personal life, wrote of some stirring words for us today to consider. She wrote: "I can live without money, but I cannot live without love." Later she wrote " I have often asked for just a few words of love from one man...rather than the applause of thousands of people".
 My personal hope within my own heart is the Lord Jesus visited Judy Garland with those words of love she so desperately was searching for...before her passing.

 As early spring comes upon us, and the storms of Spring that follow...and perhaps our eyes behold a rainbow, may we remember the One who lives beyond the rainbows...and now lives in our very hearts. Here are the words to the #1 Song of the Century:

                                             "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
  There's a land that I've heard of, once in a lullaby.
  Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
  And the dreams that you dare to, dreams really do come true.

 Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me
 Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away from the chimney tops
 That's where you'll find me.

 Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly
 Birds fly over the rainbow, why then oh why can't I?
 If happy little bluebirds fly...beyond the rainbow,
 Why...oh why...can't I?"

 In the book of Ezekiel, the prophet wrote from chapter one, verse 28:

" As colorful as a rainbow that appears after a storm, I realized I was seeing the brightness of the Lord's glory. So I bowed my face to the ground, and it was then I heard a voice...speaking to me."  {Contemporary English Version}

No comments:

Post a Comment