Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"Nearer My God to Thee"....an Early American Hymn....written by an English Lady

In 1842, Sarah Adams (Flower) wrote the hymn "Nearer my God to Thee" which she based from the book of Genesis 28: 11-19...the story of Jacob's dream...

 Sarah Adams (Flower) was a member of the Unitarian church which does not find Christ Jesus equal to God the Father...in other words she did not recognize the Trinity as a Christian doctrine. As for myself, I am true to the Trinity belief, yet I must confess...it is a person's heart that sometimes bring out beautiful thoughts...and in my opinion...this song is one of a most beautiful thought in relation to drawing closer to the Lord Himself. Sarah was born in Essex England on February 22, 1805 and passed away at the young age of 43, being known as an English poet when finally losing her  battle with the dreaded disease of tuberculous. Yet, although this song was written by an English lady, it's content has deep roots in the growth of America...the United States of America.

 Her song came to be known late in her life, and for America...this was the beginning of the "Old West"...with the fame of gunslingers, saloons, and brothels soon to gain notoriety throughout the mid-west and beyond...a time of bank robberies, Native American confrontations, and shoot-outs and duels... yet there was something else that had begun in the first half of the 1800's.

 An Awakening!...the 2nd of 3 that is noted.

Christian hymns through the centuries have taken on different formats in giving praise to God, and it was during the early 1800's the 4 part harmony was introduced, with major and minor keys, along with the organ and often times a choir.
 The importance of this style of music being introduced was not only it's type of music, but a focus that included expressing personal feelings in relationship to God in it's simple form of worship of psalms and praises.
 This "Awakening" was a series of events that was happening in various locations, with different denominations, a "revival" that reached the hearts of men and women. Evangelism and "Revival Meetings" cut through the the red tape of denominational boundaries and spread quickly, especially in regions like Kentucky, Tennessee, and Southern Ohio.
 Some bible historians write this Awakening brought benefit to others in decades to come...certain evidence pointing to the end of the famous "Hatfield-McCoy" feud when "Devil Ance" Hatfield gave his heart to the Lord and was baptized in Island Creek at the age of 72.

 Numerous Presbyterian, Baptist, and Methodist denominations joined in this Awakening. The Presbyterian church had their "Red River Meeting House" Revival held from June 13-17 starting in 1800. Presbyterian minister James McGready was a leading pastor in the "Red River Meeting House" meetings and wrote a letter to a friend describing this event. The letter is dated October 23rd, 1801 and reads: " In June, the sacrament was administered at Red River. This is the greatest time we had ever seen before. On Monday, a multitude was struck down under awful conviction; the cries of the distressed filled the whole house. There you might see profane swearers, and sabbath breakers pricked to the heart, and crying out: "What shall we do to be saved?" There were frolickers and dancers crying for mercy. There you might see little children of 10,11, and 12 years of age, praying and crying for redemption in the blood of Jesus, in agonies of distress. During the sacrament, and until the Tuesday following, 10 persons we believe, were savingly brought home to Christ."

 Yet it was during the end of this 2nd Awakening that the song "Nearer My God to Thee" drew the attention of those wanting to to follow the Lord. Only 22 years later after the song had been introduced by Sarah Adams (Flower)  that the Confederate army band played this song to the survivors of Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War, and later it was this song that was sung by the "Rough Riders" at the burial of their own slain after the Battle of Guasimas in 1898. Theodore Roosevelt, later to become President of the United States, was 2nd in Command.
 And this song continued to receive notoriety. It is written that in 1901 President William McKinley at his point of death in September, quoted the first lines of this hymn. Later, that afternoon when it was learned President McKinley had passed, bands throughout the U.S. began to play this song..."Nearer My God to Thee" in respect to his passing. 
 This song has been played at other Presidents funerals as well including President James Garfield, President Warren G. Harding, and President Gerald Ford. 

  Numerous hymns were becoming well known during the 1800's including John Fawcett's "Bless be the Tie that Binds", "Just as I am without one Plea" written by Charlotte Elliot, "Hark! The Herald Angels sing" by Charles Wesley, and "What a Friend we have in Jesus" by Joseph Medlicott Scrivers.
 Yet, "Nearer My God to Thee' simply gripped the hearts of many...and in recent times it gained popularity once more...in the famous movie "Titanic". 
 This American epic in 1997 starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio captured the attention of young and old alike, and it's featured song "My Heart Will Go On" became an all time favorite... yet it is still heart rendering to view the scene of the instrumentalists playing this great hymn "Nearer My God to Thee" in an effort to keep people calm while the great Titanic was about to sink in the depths of the North Atlantic Sea.

  History records there were actually 8 instrumentalists on board the Titanic the night it sunk, and all 8 of these men perished. Their names were:
1. Georges Alexander Krins...Violinist born in France and lived in Belgium...23 years old.
2.  Wallace Henry Hartley...English violinist and band leader...34 years old.
3. John L. Hume...Scottish violinist...22 years old.
4. Roger M. Bricoux...French cellist...20 years old.
5. John Frederick Preston Clark...Bassist from England...30 years old.
6. Percy Cornelius Taylor...Cellist from England...32 years old.
7. Theodore Ronald Brailey...Pianist from England...24 years old.
8. John Wesley Woodwed...Cellist from England...32 years old.

 The song "Nearer My God to Thee"

"Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
 E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me,
 Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.

Refrain: Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun goes down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God, to Thee.

There let the way appear, steps unto Heav'n;
All that Thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n;
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee.

Then, with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise; { Bethel means God's  Home}
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee.

Or, if on joyful wings cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I'll fly, 
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.

There in my Father's home, safe and at rest,
There in my Savior's love, perfectly blest;
Age after age to be nearer, my God, to Thee."


"Jacob woke up suddenly and thought, "The Lord is in this place, and I didn't even know...for this is His Home...the Awesome Entrance...to Heaven itself!"  Genesis 28:16


No comments:

Post a Comment