Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Whoaaa....I think Jesus thinks repenting is serious stuff!

As I sit here and think about the life of Christ Jesus, going into the desert shortly after His water baptism...to meet His destiny...taking on the sins and temptations of the world...He was in "serious mode".
 This week Lent is speaking to me...."Repent!" Parts of me hate that word...while another part of me says: "Yea...I know if I do it....I will find a key to Life....."Freedom"!



"Repent!" We have heard it through the ages. What's up with that?  Aren't we just a mixed up society...down deep the heart of man is good...it  is just covered up with "crap", and needs to be peeled off or cleansed?...Right?

 Repent...What is it anyway? What are we repenting of? Why do we need to look back and apologize or be remorseful for what we have done so far in this life? Ok...I will make adjustments...get off my back....It's not like I killed anyone or something like that...and if you have been through what I have been through...I'm not doing too bad. Life is a learning experience...I'm still learning...Don't act like I am some type of Evil coming out of the pits of Hell. I'm a good guy...I even wear white hats!......

 Really?

 Repent: In Biblical Greek, the New Testament translates the word repentance from the Greek word "metanoia"...meaning after/behind one's mind. In fact, it has a double meaning: the word "noeo" means to "think this one through", and the word "meta" meaning after or a result of these thoughts.
 A possible way of putting it is: "After you have thought this through, you then have come up with a decision to think differently about a matter...which might include the whole meaning of life itself." Along with this idea of repentance, the word "metanoia" isn't just a one time thing...yes, there is a starting point...but the idea of repentance is progressive...time itself may be involved as a person makes an initial decision to...."Repent!"

 John Calvin, the Protestant reformer of the Middle Ages broke down repentance into 3 basic areas...and here is my take on what he has written:
1. When we decide to seek a conversion...to come in peace with the "Lord Almighty", and admit we need help in life, we open our mind and heart and allow Him entrance...into our very lives.
2. Because of this decision, we are now given to a reverential fear of God...believing it is possible for Him to be who He claims to be...the "All Real and the All Powerful God" we have heard about. Now, we take a step of faith...with this thought: He is interested in each one of us.
3. When we inquire of Him and seek this requirement of Him for us to "Repent", we will have results of doing so through our daily lives....in our conversations, the way we act, and the participation to desire "Christ-like" qualities being most sought after.

Ok, so...say you are interested in repenting...that you might meet and come into a friendship with God Himself...How do we do that?...and what exactly are we repenting of?

In the Lenten Season....there lies the answer..... the Gospel of Luke, chapter 13 may have a key point in all this....Hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment