Saturday, March 9, 2013

Did Jesus Buy Us Some Time?.....

The whole thing about this chapter in Saint Luke chapter 13 is Jesus stressing the importance of Repentance...turning our thoughts and actions to a way of pleasing Him. How that is done...is an exploration in itself...but this one thing is for sure...we need to do this...and time does play a part as to how long we have to....as John the Baptizer cried out from the River Jordan: "Repent...for the Kingdom of God...is at hand!"

 Luke is the only one to record the parable in Luke 13...about the fig tree. The story comes right after Jesus had been sharing with those who would listen...about the way of Salvation...which includes the importance of...Repentance.
 Repentance is one of those things where a "choice" is not what it is about.

 In 2011, the musical group O.A.R. came out with a song called "Heaven". The main line of the chorus went: "I don't want to go to Heaven if I can't get in."
 Many have speculated and given thought about what the song is really sayin'...from being an outcry against the requirements for being a Christian, or perhaps having a relationship with another without losing "who you are" in the process, or maybe "owning up to the choices you have made in living a certain way...and not ashamed of those choices.
 The thing I often notice about life...and particularly for those who are thinking of giving their hearts and lives to the Lord Jesus...that somehow if we do that...we will lose our freedoms...have to live a miserable life full of empty dreams and wishing to do things we can no longer do...because Jesus won't let us.
 So...is that "Repentance?"...I don't think so....why would you want to do something like that?

 Have you ever done something for someone...and they show no appreciation for what you did...even though it benefited them greatly? Now, granted it is not necessary for someone to show appreciation...yet how much more fulfilling it is when it is given...for both parties!

 Repentance is the act of "givin' it up"....a recognition that living a life without His involvement is empty, confusing, and meaningless. Repentance is admitting the choices we have made have included some criminal acts...against the Lord Almighty...asking for His pardon, and yielding our lives to Him.
 Repentance also includes the hope and joy that this new way of thought and the "new lifestyle" He has for us...is far better than we could imagine or dream of.
 
 Repentance also includes the sin we have committed. I have always thought of it this way. Do you remember the time the Pharisees came up with an idea to "entrap" Jesus...asking Him of all the Mosaic Laws to be followed...which ones were most important?
 You gotta' love how Jesus answered them...for the way the Pharisees had it figured that of the 613 Laws and Customs...no matter which one He chose...they had a counter answer.
 Yet, Jesus said: "You are to love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul...and you are to love one another as you love yourself. If you follow these two requirements...all the other Laws will automatically be adhered to."
 Needless to say...Jesus took "the air" out of the Pharisees...and they did what they would normally do...they left.

 Repentance is kind of like that...at least to me. I can't list all the sins I have committed against Him...part of the reason I don't know all I have done wrong...it's hard enough keeping tract of the ones I do know of (lol). But...here is the thing about True Repentance:
 The sin that separates me from God...is failing to realize or even recognize...the Cross. Jesus had to die at the Cross for me...and He not only took my place there...but through His work I am now able to have a relationship with the Lord...just like He has.
 I could not do enough "merits in life" to earn a way into His Kingdom...the sin was too great...it only comes through the acceptance of His Son and His work at the Cross.
 Recognizing sin in your life is kind of like Jesus answering the Pharisees when He was asked which were the greatest Commandments in the Law were we to follow.
 The real sin is saying : "Look, I am sure Jesus did a nice thing by dieing on a Cross..perhaps he died supporting His personal beliefs...but as for me...I am fine...and will make God happy with me simply because I  am a good person..and do nice things too.
 In other words, there is really only one sin we need to repent of...and the rest of our sins become rather obvious...the real sin...Do we reject His Son...the Work He did for us at the Cross?...and the recognition that  "I dont' want to go to Heaven if..."I" can't get in.
 Because this this the "Requirement of the Ages"...the acceptance that Jesus died...for me..and don't worry...you won't get into Heaven..if all you can offer is "I" (my own accomplishments).

                             A Gleaning from Saint Luke 13:6-9

 " Jesus then addressed the crowd gathered near Him...and told them this story:

 "There was this man, who planted a fig tree...right in his own personal garden (usually fig trees were planted in the large vineyards to support the vines of grapes). One day this man came looking for some figs that might have grown from this fig tree...yet, there was no fruit to be found...and the man who had planted this fig tree in his personal garden...was disappointed.
 So, the man went to his gardener who tended the vineyards and said: "Look at this fig tree I have planted here...in my own garden! I have waited 3 years to see what figs may be growing from this tree...planted in the best of soil...and look!...nothing! I think it is time to chop this tree down...why put all this effort into something that has been given the best possible soil...and refuses to bear fruit? Why should I continue to aloow this tree to have such precious space?"
 The Gardener, listening to the intent of his master, replies: " Sir, may I strongly suggest...let's give this fig tree one more year. I will give this tree my personal and special attention...add some of my own fertilizer to support its growth and become mature...to bear fruit. Then, perhaps next year...the fruit will be there! If not...we will cut it down."

Who is the Gardener?...The One who gave Himself...and gave us time...to repent!

Note: According to the Law of Moses, a tree was suppose to be given 3 years to grow and mature...in the 4th year...the fruit of the tree was to be given as an offering to the Lord. Then, after its 5th season...a person could begin to partake of its fruit.
 I think we are in that 4th year...we offer our lives to the Lord...for all the "Gardener" has done for us!

 P.S. I do like the group O.A.R. (lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment