Thursday, March 7, 2013

In the "Spirit of Lent"...What Exactly Do I Repent Of?...

As I contemplate on the Lord Jesus, facing temptations in the desert, taking on the sins of the world, and overcoming every adversity that sets itself against the Kingdom of God ( Some refer to this as "Desert Storm"), where do I, a guy living in Ohio in the year 2013 fit into all this? Why is God so interested in me?...and how can I make a difference in both the lifestyle I choose and the influence I have on those around me?...in my sphere and arena of everyday life? Why is it so important anyway?

 In the Gospels: Saint Matthew 22:35-40, Saint Mark 12:28-34, and Saint Luke 10:25-28, Jesus spoke of 2 Commandments we need to follow, commonly known as "The Great Commandment", that we are to live by here...on our journey in life...on earth.
 This "Great Commandment" wasn't geared toward what I can do to make a renewed friendship with God the Father actually happen...in other words, if all my efforts are given to being a better person by obeying Laws...it really would not be enough to make things "all well between us".
 Or, just because I am circumcised...doesn't actually mean God thinks I am "cool", and all is well between us...anymore than  because I obey the "Law of the Sabbath"...go to church every Sunday...give tithes and offerings, smile at people...maybe even going as far as to shake their hand and ask "How ya' doin'?"...doesn't mean my friendship with the Lord is..."on"...and now everything is "cool between us". In fact, even if I refrain from stealing from others ( and that is not always a money issue... it can be another's ideas and taking credit for it, or preferring to "bask in the limelight" when in fact I should be uplifting the skills and talents of others), even if I do this in a way that is "Christian" as they say...this doesn't make my friendship with God "fixed".

 The Season of Lent brings to my attention what having a friendship with the Lord really means... it doesn't start with...me. I can't establish a friendship with God, trying to mend the separation, the damage, or repair by being some..."Goody-2 Shoes" as we say in my environment...meaning...I can't do enough of the right things to mend any part of the total emptiness of not knowing Him.
 It cost a whole lot more than that...sin had a "bounty" on my life and on all those who do not have a friendship with the Lord. The "bounty" was binding and in order to be get out of being condemned to die as a sinner like myself when I stand before God in judgment...there was only one way of escape....that being...through "The Blood".  This "Bounty" could not be paid by any efforts on my part...being nice "all the time", helping little ole' ladies across the street, giving till my pockets were empty, even building a church...or being an elder or deacon (with a written certificate that hangs proudly on my wall)...none of this could pay for the "Bounty on me".
 It was paid...by Him!God's very own and only Son stepped in...and took my place in judgment...paying the penalty of death that was for me...and went as far as to die in my place.
 This is the meaning of Lent in a "nutshell"...Christ Jesus and Christ Jesus alone is the One who has made our friendship with God possible.
 Why do you think John Newton...who wrote "Amazing Grace"...starting out with these words..."Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound, that saved a wretch...like me"?                    Some people in Christian circles have been offended at Newton's choice of word "wretch"...a little too degrading...actually thinking their good merits in life will stand up against any judgment that is upon the human race....stemming from when "The Rebellion" first began. They have substituted the word "wretch" with the word "soul"...making it sound nicer...after all...we really are nice people right?  Some people just refuse..."to get it"...that's how I see it. 

 Ok...I got a little side tracked here...the original question of this article: "What are we repenting of?"...still needs addressed....so I guess this means..."Part 2".....
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment