Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Freedom...has an enemy..He calls himself..."Greed"

In the gospel of Saint Luke, chapter 12, verses 13 through 21, Luke writes of a parable none of the other gospel letters mention,  yet,  it is one of  major nemesis man often faces when it comes to following Him. I am grateful to Luke, the only Gentile to have recorded his views of Christ Jesus in the entire New Testament, for observing what happen here one day...in the days when Jesus was physically here with us...walking the earth....

 Most translations subtitle this: "The Parable of the Rich Fool" ( NIV,NLT, Cont. Eng.), the Message paraphrase of the Sacred Scriptures calls this: "The Story of the Greedy Farmer". It is an interesting story Luke writes in this chapter and brings out Jesus and his thoughts on...Greed.
 The power of Greed...has had a tremendous influence on mankind...in fact, history shows wars, disasters, and entire countries and regimes have been brought to their knees because of this thing we call...Greed. Greed in the Kingdom of Darkness is likened to Compassion in the Kingdom of God. Greed is the utopia of Narcissism.
 Here is a good example of Greed and man in his narcissistic behavior...working hand in hand...

                          A Gleaning from Luke 12:13-21

 "Someone in the crowd that had gathered around Jesus, called to Him and spoke: "Teacher...tell my brother to share what our father had left for us...the inheritance our father had left for us when he died." Jesus, upon hearing the request, answered back: " Listen, who gave me the right to settle arguments between you and your brother?"

{NOTE} When I first read of this question directed to Jesus, it seems to me one would naturally think..."Wow..this guy is getting ripped off by his brother...his brother must be keeping everything for himself." Yet, the response Jesus gave to the question this guy had asked...wasn't the answer one might expect. You would think Jesus would have said something like: Hang in there! Have faith! God will see you through this...He will see you get what is rightfully yours!"
 Instead, Jesus kind of "blew the whole question off" by saying: " Hey, that is between you and your brother..I'm not goin' there...I'm not getting in the middle of that!"
Hmmmmm? I think this is a "dead giveaway".  Now what is He up to? There is absolutely no way Jesus doesn't want to get "in the middle" of anything and everything that concerns us!
 So, my first thought is: "I wonder if this guy's brother was in the crowd too? If he happened to be...he sure kept quiet." The second thing...knowing Jesus in these brief years of my own life...I am sure He knew more about this than He was "letting on". This type of response He gave is just Jesus being Jesus...He likes it when you discover for yourself what may be in your own heart. My experience with Jesus is kind of like that saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Jesus, in my own personal relationship with Him, has often identified what is really in my heart...yet He kind of let's me find it..then I look up at Him and say "Hey look Jesus...I didn't know this was here...in my own heart!' He always seems to smile...like one of those "Good job smiles!", when in reality...He already knew what was there...in my heart.
 That's kind of like what I think is going on here...this guy asking Jesus about his inheritance...wanting Jesus to step in and hand over to him what he thought he rightfully deserves.. but...something just 'ain't' right.  I think Jesus "smelled a rat" as the saying goes..just from the way this guy addressed Jesus. In fact, I think this guy wasn't asking Jesus for help in regards to his inheritance because he was "so innocently abused" as it appears...I think this guy was being greedy...and wanted his share of his father's inheritance...and he wanted it...now! After all, Jewish law was clear as to how it worked with sons receiving inheritances from their fathers...the first born get double what the other siblings receive...no...I am convinced this guy's motives wasn't as pure as they appeared to be. Ok...back to Luke...

 " Jesus then turned and spoke to the crowd gathered 'round Him and said: " You have to guard yourself against this one...Greed! Greed will come at you in all forms...he can be vicious, ruthless, and purposely out to hurt  you and/or others...or he can act like he is your best friend. Remember, in My Father's Kingdom...you are still considered very poor if all you have to bring with you into His Kingdom are photos and videos of all the "things" you amassed while you lived on the earth. Trust Me on this: a man's life in My Father's Kingdom has no weight...in fact it could very well work against you...if anyone thinks for even a moment the amount of "things" you have amassed will impress My Father. The first question My Father will ask you is: "Why didn't you use some of these things to help those around you?" If that question arises...and you find the conversation going that direction...then you have put your own life in severe jeopardy...and you are not safe...at all!
 
 Let me put it this way...Listen Up! 

 There was this guy...who had become quite wealthy...he was in the farming business. What had happened to this guy was one season he had a "bumper crop"...I mean the kind that is talked about for years. He was truly blessed that season and the harvest was not only a high yield but of high quality as well!
 Ok, the first thing this guy does is...have a conversation...with himself! He doesn't think about going to the Temple to offer My Father a portion for the blessing My Father had given him, nor does he think about family, friends, or those in dire straits that need help. No, he decides to carry on a conversation all to himself and this is what he said: " What am I going to do with all this harvest? Where am I going to "stash" all this for myself now and in the years to come?"
 Jesus then interjected and said: "This guy debated with himself and came up with this conclusion."  This guy continued to speak to himself and said: " Here is what I am going to do! First, I am going to tear down all the storage barns I have now, and put bigger ones in its place. This would be a good time to do it as well...the harvest is about over and alot of these laborers I hired will be out of work for the winter...I can get this done pretty cheap! Besides, why sell all this grain now?!! It's all to readily available at the moment...I will just wait till there is much higher demand for grain...and my profits will even be...more enormous! Now, is that a plan...or what! I am entering what is called "livin' the dream" and because of these wise calculations...I can kick back and enjoy life for a change...I think I deserve this...enjoy life...eat, drink, and be merry...for years to come! There will be a day these people will need this grain...and I will have them eating "right out of the palms of my hands!"

 Then, Jesus continues....

 "After the farmer had finished his conversation with himself, the farmer turned to enact this well calculated plan...when suddenly My Father appeared...standing before this very farmer! My Father spoke and said: " So, I didn't get a chance to hear what your ideas are in receiving all this harvest I have given you...what's up?" The farmer, now stunned at the appearance of My Father...and now going through his own mind the "plans he had made without consulting My Father"...gave no response...just kind of stood there with My Father..."starry-eyed".
 Then, My Father spoke once more and said: "Well, whatever plans you have made, I hope they are good ones...easy to be carried out...good simple instructions...and a benefit to many! For this night I have some news for you!...You are coming Home!...with Me!"

 Then Jesus looked upon the crowd and concluded: " People who welcome "Greed" into their lives...always end up like that. It is the same story...over and over...collecting all they can for themselves while here on earth...keeping it for themselves...ignoring the "Cries of those in Need"...and ignoring any counsel with My Father. "Hoarding" is not a characteristic of My Father's Kingdom...it comes for Greed...it comes from Darkness...stay away from such "talk and suggestions!" 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment