Monday, January 21, 2013

Finding Somethng You Miss...You!

As February approaches, we enter into what think of as a "transition month". It's kind of like you know things are about change, they just haven't happened yet.
 In the northern hemisphere, February is typically the 3rd month of winter, and in the southern hemisphere it is the 3rd month of summer...like the month of August.
 An Old English word for the month of February is "solmonath", meaning the "month of mud". In Finland, it has been described in a more poetic form called "helmikuu", meaning the "month of the pearl". The meaning behind this is when the snow begins to melt on the branches, it will form droplets, and as these droplets freeze again, they take on the appearance of a pearl...a pearl made of ice. Other northern European countries refer to February as the "month of ice", and it is also a month of "cutting down of trees".
 
 February has similarities with that of August from a spiritual or emotional outlook. It is a time when things are about to change...just like the seasons. I personally think one reason God made the seasons was to remind us ...things do change...and things do get better.

 One of my favorite musical male song artists is Josh Groban. He did a version of "You Raise Me Up" that simply rocks! Josh Groban was born in the Jewish faith but later converted to Christianity. His songs are the type that make you think about the words he is singing about, giving feeling and thought to each song. He sang a song about the month of February, in fact he entitled it "February's Song". In this song he does some soul searching with the objective seeming to be not to lose his own identity and the things he believes in as he journeys through life. I think that is what February can "bring to the table", a time to allow yourself to recommit to the values and standards of life that you hold dear, and reestablish yourself to doing what you do best...simply "you being you and/or me being me". I think Jesus believes in this too...being honest with ourselves...as we come before Him.
Here are some of the lyrics to "February's Song" by Josh Groban...looking for himself...

 "Where has that old friend gone?
   Tell him it won't be long, till he opens his eyes,
   Opens his eyes.

   Where is that simple day?
   Before colors broke into shades,
   And how did I ever fade...into this life...into this life.

   And I never want to let you down,
   Forgive me if I slipped away,
   And all I have known is lost and found,
   I promise you..I'll come back to you one day.

   Morning is waking up,
   Sometimes its more than enough,
   And all you need to love...is in front of your eyes...in front of your eyes.

   And I never want to let you down,
   Forgive me if I have slipped away...sometimes it is hard to find my ground
   'cause I keep falling as I try to get away from this crazy world...

   Where has that old friend gone...lost in a February Song,
   Tell him it won't be long...'till he opens his eyes...
   Opens his eyes..."

 As I watch the winds of February come, I think at least for me it is a time to set aside time for myself, to be patient with my own successes and failures, to reflect on what changes I might need to make to "stay true to self" and be submissive to Him. Finding the real me...that is what February brings "to the table", and as I open my eyes, and get some help from the Holy Spirit to sort some things out within me...I think I will have found...my old friend.

 In the Sacred Scriptures, there are a few guys that wrote some things that help to advance in the search for oneself...and the purpose to why we do what we do:

  The prophet Jeremiah once wrote: " I know the thoughts and plans I have for you...and abandoning you is not one of them." says the Lord. "The plans I have for you are good ones...not evil or disastrous. The plans I have offer a solid future and a secure hope." Jeremiah 29:11

 The prophet Isaiah also gave some thought on this subject and wrote: " You don't have to live in fear...because there is nothing to fear. This is the time to let go of your discouragement...I am here." says the Lord..."to make you strong and help you through the most difficult circumstances...you have My Word on it..and My Right Hand is here as well...to pull you up." Isaiah 41:10

 Saint Paul seems to entertain this train of thought: "Whenever you are in need, don't be afraid or hold back from coming to the Throne of Mercy...My kindness is here to greet you, and I am here to give you both appropriate and well-timed help...just when you need it." Hebrews 4:16

 Spring is coming...and Josh Groban does have a new CD coming out on February 5th called: " All that Echoes"...so life is good!
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment