Sunday, September 13, 2020

In Search of the Sacred Scripture #2: Zen's Outlook

 The word Zen is described as "a state of calm attentiveness." I'm not a follower of Zen but am amazed throughout my life how various religions carry elements of truth. I like to add a verse of Sacred Scripture when I read something that gets my attention. 

One Zen thought is to "do things one at a time, do it slowly and consciously, do it completely and develop it into a habit." I have found this advice helpful in reducing stress and frustration in my life, although to get to that point takes time, purpose, and clearing out "clutter" that has entered my life. 

In the gospel of Mark, the rich young ruler seemed attracted to Jesus, but had developed a plan of action to pass Heaven's gates which was missing a key element...knowing Him.

In Mark 10:21, Jesus observes and makes a comment, "Jesus looked at Him straight in the eye and felt genuine compassion. 'One thing you lack, sell whatever you have and give it to the poor. These treasures will be released in Heaven. Then, Come, Follow Me!"

The rich, young ruler's decision to walk away has been echoed through time. Others have manipulated people to steal their wealth. I don't think wealth or trying to "buy a seat in Heaven" is what Jesus was suggesting. He was after something else...something inside the heart of the rich ruler.

Take time to enjoy moments each day we are provided,and do things one at a time, slowly, and completely. After a while, it becomes addictive...even a daily habit. Don't walk away, give thoughts time to process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment