Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Vikings,,,Season 3 Episode 2

It was of interest to me to see where this is all going...and the words that were said...

 I am recently overtaken by the words of Athelstan, the catholic priest who initially was held captive by the Vikings...particularly Ragnar Lothbrok, and now has developed somewhat of a close relationship.
Image result for photos of the vikings on history channel I liked the part where Athelstan is asked why he joined the Viking clan out of a voluntary measure and was asked by the English how he could be such a part of this pagan religion? His answer was quite thought provoking: "I love Odin, and I love Jesus Christ...they both hung on a tree you know". This comment alone will challenge you to dig into history and read for yourself what in the world was Athelstan talking about.

 Lady Judith, a married woman has seemed to find her utter most feelings for Athelstan, like in the scene where she kisses his hand for the stigmata that Athelstan has in reference to the attempted crucifixion. Awesome stuff! Then she goes to confession and Athelstan is the priest who listens to her confession...how she dreams of lying with someone sexually...and it is Athelstan,"
 I equally enjoyed the part of the confession where Athelstan replies to her "sins", for she had spoke and said: " I have sinned in thought but not in deed...". Athelstan replies: " Then your sins are not as great as they could be."  Awesome!
 This entire part is entitled: "Dangerous Fascinations". I have to wonder...is this what Christians today face in various scenarios of their personal lives?...Hmmmm?

 Another part of this particular episode was when one of the characters described his hope in life saying: "I want to be famous...to have poets write of me...to have the gods...show interest in me."
Image result for photos of Athelstan This made me realize about my own Christianity..."Do I want God...to show interest in me?" Isn't that what many want...to have God on our side and show Himself by blessing, protecting, and guiding our lives?

 As this Viking season continues...the words, the characters, the unfolding events that are about to happen....are not some of the statements made...the very cries of our own hearts?
  Although The Vikings series is a historical fiction...it is fulfilling the 3 basic requirements:
1) the series is a culmination of events that actually happened 2) it includes people that are part of an event(s) that actually happened and 3) the dialogue of this historical fiction must create scenes and characters that have a plot...yet are fictional...separating itself from purely non-fiction.

 So, in reference to the Sacred Scriptures...is it historical fiction or purely historical non-fiction? For myself, I think every event written of is true...and every person in these events described in the Scriptures...are real. The bible is a book full of stories of the people of old, yet these people...were not fictional...they were real...including this One who proclaimed in Saint John 14:6 "I Am...I Myself and forever I Am...the way, the truth, and the life. There is no other path to righteousness, nor is there any other measure of righteousness, for the source of all life, whether physical or spiritual comes only through...Me. No one apart from Me...can approach the Father, you can only come into My Father's Presence...through Me." {paraphrased}

 There is no historical fiction in the statement of Christ Jesus...it is plain fact! My love for the Viking series on the History Channel is compelling...yet long before the Vikings were on earth...the I AM was already here...among us! 




No comments:

Post a Comment