Wednesday, August 19, 2015

"The Lord's Prayer"

 As I continue on this study of The Lord's Prayer, I was going to wait till after I concluded my study before offering my own version of this prayer. Yet, after I thought about it...why not now? lol

 The Lord's Prayer has been a lifelong bewilderment to me. He taught this prayer to His disciples before they were aware of the upcoming crucifixion, before His resurrection, and before the dispensation of the Holy Spirit. 
 As time passed, the disciples learned how to approach "Our Father" in similar prayer patterns. There seems to be no recorded evidence instructing us to say this prayer by memorization, yet the principles in this prayer gives us direction as to where our hearts should be.
 One bewilderment for me was the use of praying this particular prayer by memory. Often in this frame of mind, we don't always understand the depth of this prayer nor the potency of what we are reciting. I  thought this prayer was more like words in a connotation and when we are finished, "Poof!", everything magically changes. 
 Yet those thoughts have been put to rest as I realize The Lord's Prayer is an important part of the Sacred Scripture, and Joshua in the Old Testament, right before the Israelites were to enter the Promised Land, did indeed instruct them to contemplate His Word day and night.
  Charles Spurgeon, the great evangelist in the mid 1800's shared his thoughts on the subject in this light. He wrote " I do not think I will regret whether I recited The Lord's Prayer enough times before I die, but I will regret not taking the time to know Him better." I think The Lord's Prayer gives us an opportunity...to know Him better.  
 One other bewilderment I had was the ending of this particular prayer. Early Greek historians and early church fathers gave no reference to the doxology of The Lord's Prayer. In fact, in the early 2nd century Tertullan, a writer and early saint of the Christian faith, wrote in no uncertain terms this prayer ended here: "...deliver us from evil."
 It wasn't until late in the 2nd century or perhaps early in the 3rd, scriptural texts began including this prayer as recorded in Saint Matthew and Saint Luke.

 On the other hand, I don't think the doxology is wrong or should not be included in the grand finale of The Lord's Prayer, it just came a little later. Did Jesus say this in the original prayer He was teaching His disciples?...probably not.
 This doxology is a fine addition and we find its origin is in 1 Chronicles 29:11, a Davidic Doxology, written 800+ years before Jesus arrived in a manger. I think this doxology brings a poetic justice, like a "cymbal effect" at the end of an orchestrated musical piece. Besides, who can argue with those words: "...for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever!"

 I would just encourage all to take this prayer and follow its pattern, create your own thoughts and words as you read His, and above all, let it generate from your own heart.

 Here is my version:
Image result for photos of passion of christ
 "Our Father, who resides in Heaven
   Yet heaven cannot contain You!

  I take this time to give You the highest place in my    heart. 
  I place You above anyone, including myself,
 Above any desire or want I may have,
 Above any plan or purpose I am choosing to do,
 I yield to Your Throne which is utmost in my heart,
And one You so richly deserve.

I open my heart and welcome Your kingdom
To find its home in me
And because You have chose to reside here,
I give praise and glory...to You.

May Your will be accomplished in my life,
The very same will You have already declared in Heaven.
Give to me the bread I need to help others
This very bread coming directly from You
And now You have entrusted me, 
To serve others and give strength
In their time of need.

As I learn from You to forgive others
The hurts, the shame, and all the pain
I face in life,
Accept my plea for forgiveness,
When I have hurt others...including You.

Allow my heart
Not to give in or be overtaken
By temptation,
And deliver me from evil
That is surely out to destroy me."

Amen 






No comments:

Post a Comment