Sunday, August 30, 2015

"Teach Us How to Pray" Part 6

                                                                  NOTE:

Hi! I know I haven't been writing on the blog as much as I like lately. I have been working on writing my first book for the last year. I hope to have it finished by the end of this year. I had no idea what I was getting into, yet I am lovin' every minute of it. I will be introducing the book as it nears completion. 

Alrighty then...

 The Lord's Prayer. This segment reads "Give us this day our daily bread..."

 When I approached this phrase, I immediately researched the word bread. I found in the New Testament Greek it is the word "artos." The English translation for this word is loaf, like in a loaf of bread. To be precise artos is in plural form and means loaves of bread. If this is an accurate translation, I have to wonder, "Man, Jesus sure isn't bashful at dinner!"

 As I contemplated this word artos, I thought: "Who would want to eat loaves of bread at one sitting or even for an entire day?" Then I thought "Wait a minute, maybe this amount of bread isn't just for me."
 John Wesley, early founder of the Methodist church states receiving this bread acknowledges 2 things, 1) we are ever dependent and indebted to His mercy, and 2) we should share the bread we have with others in the same manner Christ Jesus is faithful to feed us (me).
 In some Christian circles "our daily bread" is related to manna from the Old Testament. Manna was a unique bread because it could not be kept overnight (except on Sabbath), lest it would spoil. Each day the Israelites would depend on Him to bring them fresh manna.
 Others have indicated "our daily bread" is referring to our needs here...in our daily lifestyles and surroundings.  Martin Luther in his "Small Catechism" instructions, kind of cracked me up. He included daily bread to include food, clothing, home, property, work, income, family, community, good government, favorable weather, peace, health, good name, true friends, and good neighbors. And that was just the first paragraph...lol.
Image result for photos of jesus breaking bread John Calvin, founder of the Presbyterian church submits: "that by asking God for daily bread we are exercising humility and reverence, recognizing we are not the source of our existence, rather, God is, and our total dependency is on Him." Any student of Calvin would be shouting
"Amen" when reading this quote.


 Yet, I like what another liturgical church founder wrote, a guy I deeply admire. He is referred to as Saint Augustine. He was a member of the Roman Catholic church and lived in the 4th century A.D. He wrote his response to this phrase of the Lord's Prayer starting with a question. " If God promised a Kingdom, then would He not provide the things necessary to sustain His Kingdom?" 
 Okay, Saint Augustine has got me thinking here. Somehow this question makes sense to me. Here are my thoughts. Our present day U.S. military, when they are sent to war , their daily routine of food, clothing. ammunition, guns, vehicles, etc are expected without question. Our government are not sent daily reminders the men are needing food, clothing, weapons, etc. for the next day or the day after. 
 Yet, if our military units capture an area of territory, like a town or city, it would not be unusual for them to request supplies for those living in these areas. Food, clothing, and numerous items would be requested to help others who had been held in captivity.
 So, if we who are but earthen vessels can provide provisions, freedom, and help to others, how much more does our Heavenly Father do for us? ( Matthew 7:9 )

 My conclusion? Our "daily bread" is not about me, it's about giving me the bread I need to help others.
 One more thing....Jesus used the same Greek word "artos" when He spoke and said: " I am the Bread of Life."

No comments:

Post a Comment